10| Dates

"Umma it was one fight," I sighed and smiled at the hostess as I pulled the phone back from my face slightly. "Reservation for Randall," she led me to a table and I thanked her before settling into the seat in the empty area I was sat in. Good, there will be privacy.

"Randall you know I don't like you getting in fights."

"Umma I love you, but I'm a grown man. You know I would never get in a fight unless it's over something important to me right?" I heard her sigh as I flattened the button down I was wearing.

"I believe you, baby I just don't like the idea of you coming back here and suddenly getting in these fights."

"Don't worry about it Mom. I've got a good head on my shoulder, I promise I won't fight someone unless they deserve it."

"You sound like your father more and more every time I speak to you. It's making me nauseous Randall."

"I love you too." I chuckled.

"Okay, have fun on your date baby. When are you coming home?" My cheeks warmed as I cleared my throat, catching Dan walking into the restaurant. He caught my eye and walked in with a wide smile. 

"Uh, okay love you bye!" I said and hung up.

I'm going to hear about that next time I see her for sure.

"Hey sorry I'm late! There was a group of people arguing about a handicap spot and I asked if they needed any help."

"That's sweet of you." Okay, so far so good. He has a heart that's all I'm asking for really.

"You looked really great," he said and I appreciated the way he took in my outfit. Alright, I might have popped a few buttons at the top of my dress shirt on purpose. 

"You look really great too," I winked and his cheeks pinked as he hid behind the menu he picked up.

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face as I opened my own menu.

"Oh crazy. That's them," he whispered and I peered over my shoulder and instantly slumped down in my chair, covering my face with the menu.

"Oh shit," I mumbled. 

"And here's your table," I looked to my left and saw Bennett and Zelda standing there.

"Oh hey!" Zelda smiled at Dan and Bennett squinted at me and I accidentally made eye contact.

"Oh. This? This right here? Pure gold," Bennett said.

"Dan. Meet my sister and her fiancé. Zelda. Bennett. This is my date, Dan."

"Oh my God," Bennett whispered and looked around the restaurant and Zelda turned to the hostess.

"Excuse me, can we have a different table?" Zelda asked and Dan looked at me in confusion but I just shrugged.

"The place is crowded. You guys can sit with us if you want," Dan said.

Bennett hesitated, but sat down, avoiding eye contact with me while Zelda sat next to him. Bennett leaned towards me and muttered, "I'm sorry in advance please don't kill me," and then he said, "over here guys!" And I watched as Iris and Hyde walked to the table.

Iris froze mid-step to the table and looked at me in confusion, "Randall?" She asked and I took her in. She was wearing a long-sleeved black dress that sat high on her collar bone and was flowing from the waist down. I had to peel my gazer away from her to look at Bennett.

"I'm going to wrap my hands around your neck and I'm going to kill you," I said low enough for only him to hear and he grabbed my hands before they came up and used them to wave to Iris.