11| Pools

Iris

***

Fran was humming to a song as she tapped the steering wheel, but I turned and stared at her. Because I know my sister.

"You alright Franny?" I asked quietly and she stopped and looked at me quickly before looking back at the road, being caught off guard.

"Oh! Yeah, I'm all good," she said softly.

"Is that why you were humming?"

"Just thinking I guess," she said and I let it slide "I really liked the dress Iris it looks perfect for your body."

"It was just a demo, I doubt I'll go through with that specific one. Zelda said I could get it remodeled however I want as long as I chose the color she asked for."

"Yeah, and she asked for that specific dress for you to try on because she knew you'd look amazing in it."

"I think I'll ask for them to cover the chest a little more," I said softly and I watched my sister grip the steering wheel tighter.

"You have curves galore, babe. A rack for days and the greatest ass. I want you to remember that," she said sternly as she focused on the road.

When I was a teenager I was incredibly insecure. I couldn't and wouldn't believe that anyone would even like me because all I saw when I looked in the mirror was this average girl. Especially next to my sister, who could pass as a Jessica Rabbit with darker hair, I didn't think I looked any special.

Well, I did whenever I was near Randall. He would constantly preach to me about self-love and on days that I really couldn't bring myself to it, he would compliment me more than he usually did. and the cherry on the cake was when he would compliment me constantly. And I guess as much as I don't want to, some thought processes stick in adulthood. I try to be confident in my own skin, but sometimes it's hard. And that's something I'm working on.

"You get Zel anything for her birthday yet?" She asked, shifting the conversation and I gave her a grateful look.

"Yeah, a cute bag she's been swooning over. You?"

"Nah you know Marty's the sentimental one. He said he'll take care of it," she said and we rounded the corner to the apartment complex.

Franny dropped me off at Hyde's place, where I've been staying for a bit. My apartment's lease ended and I've been between here and my parents' place for a little while. You'd think after three years your boyfriend would maybe talk to you about moving in, but I'm not a pushy type of person. So I haven't moved myself, just settling on sleeping over sometimes.

"Hyde?"

"Hey babe," he called and I walked farther into the room where he lay on the couch watching the tv. He had headphones on and a controller in his hand as he played some game and I sat on the other side of the couch.

"Did you have fun?" He asked as he kept his eyes on the screen.

"Yeah Zelda made me try on this dress," I said and pulled up my photos and showed it to him.

"Oh," he said sparing it a look and then back at the screen.

"Just oh?"

"I mean it's nice. Maybe a little too flirty for a maid of honor, but whatever."

"Yeah, I was thinking about closing up the chest part a bit," I said looking down at the picture, hovering my thumb over the chest part.

"Sounds good," he said.