The Visitor

"One large chocolate shake, please!" you say with a smile as you enter the ice cream parlor. You reach into your pocket to hand the demon standing at the register five dollars. "And keep the change."

"Coming right up." he replies. He notices Charlie follow you inside as the door swings open once again. He gives you a small smile and asks "You want two straws?"

"You know us too well." you say with a chuckle, as he turns around to begin making the milkshake.

Charlie looks like a kid in a candy store, looking around the ice cream parlor with an enormous grin on her face.

"You got us chocolate, right!?" Charlie excitedly asks, as she steps up to the counter to be with you.

"Yep, Dave's making it right now." you reply.

"Hey, how's it going, Princess?" he greets with a friendly smile, while scooping a few spoonfuls of chocolate ice cream into a blender.

"It's been great!" she replies. "We redeemed fifteen sinners today alone!"

"Wow, that's crazy." he says with a shocked expression. "Things must be really taking off over there at your hotel."

"Yeah, I'll say." you add. "We even rehabilitated one who was... a little less than enthusiastic about the idea when the Hotel first opened."

"Really? Who was it?" Dave asks, curiously tilting his head to the side. He turns on the blender to make the milkshake.

"Katie Killjoy! I still can't believe it!" Charlie says, practically jumping for joy in the middle of the ice cream parlor.

"That news anchor lady?" he asks. "Guess that would explain why they're hiring now, all of the sudden."

"Yep," you say, lovingly wrapping an arm around Charlie's shoulders. "So, we figured we'd stop by your place and celebrate for a bit."

"My door's always open to you guys." Dave says with a smile.

He opens the blender and pours its contents into a tall drinking glass. He then places two drinking straws inside the glass, one on each side of it. He puts the completed chocolate shake on the counter, saying "And here you go!"

Charlie excitedly picks up the milkshake and hurries off to find a booth for you both to sit in.

"You better hurry up before she finishes all of that." he jokes.

"I'm sure she's tempted to, but I don't think she will." you say with a small laugh, before turning your head and trying to find where Charlie ran off to. "I trust her, for the most part."

"'For the most part'." he repeats with a chuckle, before saying "You two are just perfect together."

"We're a match made in Heaven... or Hell, I guess, technically." you joke. "Thanks, Dave."

"Don't mention it. You two have a good one." he says, turning his attention to another customer standing at the counter.

"You too." you reply. You step away from the counter, and soon find Charlie sitting at one of the empty booths in the ice cream parlor.

Surprisingly, the milkshake appears untouched.

"Aww, you waited until I came over. You're too kind, Charlie!" you say with a smile.

"Yeah, and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done." she mumbles. "I mean, just look at it! So much ice cream, whipped cream, and a cute little cherry on top. It just looks so good!"

You sit down across from her and say "Well, you need not wait any longer. Let's dig in!"

"Yes!" she celebrates, grabbing the straw closest to her and beginning to drink.