The Discovery

Unexpectedly, the rest of the day proved uneventful. During the afternoon, you accompanied Charlie and Vaggie to the Ascension Room, helping them show Lucifer around.

This is the area of the hotel where angel ambassadors from Heaven routinely check on the Hotel's progress. They also usually bring down a list of sinners that God deemed worthy of bringing up to Heaven.

Those sinners are then brought to the Ascension Room, and if they are willing to leave Hell behind, the angel ambassador brings them up to Heaven, where they can now live a life free from the constant pain and chaos of the underworld.

Lucifer actually seemed to like the idea, especially since sinners are given the choice of staying in Hell or ascending to Heaven. He was happy that they weren't being forced to go to Heaven; it was entirely their choice if they wanted to leave or not.

Since he is the ruler of Hell, he was, understandably, shocked to learn that the vast majority of sinners who are given the choice decide to go to Heaven, rather than stick around.

Regardless, he seemed happy that the option to remain in Hell was there.

After the day concluded, Lucifer thanked you all for your time, and returned to his room in the hotel. He picked Room 666, for obvious reasons.

Presently, you and Charlie are walking down the hall hand in hand, heading back to your own room.

"So despite a rough start, today didn't turn out that bad after all." you say.

"Yeah, I'm surprised!" Charlie replies. "After this morning, Dad was... pretty much normal!"

"Well he's the Devil, so wouldn't 'normal' be kind of a bad thing?" you ask.

She laughs and softly hits your arm. "You know what I mean."

"He was a lot more open to the idea than I thought. Honestly, I was a little nervous when we showed him the Ascension Room, but... looks like everything turned out okay!" you say. "Maybe he'll even give Alastor his room key back."

"I still feel like Al might've just lost it." Charlie shrugs. "And I can almost guarantee you that it was him this morning, saying I 'slipped on a banana peel'. That just sounds like a dumb Alastor joke!"

"Normally, I'd agree with you, but he was PISSED when I brought it up to him. I've never seen Al that angry. He swore up and down that he had nothing to do with it."

"I mean, he even stopped smiling for a second, if you could believe it!" you add.

Charlie's jaw drops slightly. "No way! I've only seen him do that once, back when he was interviewing Angel for his radio show."

You chuckle. "That sounds about right."

"Regardless, I'm not letting him off that easily." she says. "Everyone I asked said it sounded just like him, so I'm guessing Dad was probably being a bad influence on him."

The two of you walk past the radio station on your way downstairs.

"Oh, speak of the Devil! Or Radio Demon, technically." you say with a laugh.

As the two of you walk past the studio, the door unexpectedly creeks open, making you both freeze in place. Slowly looking toward it, at best you expect to see Alastor walking out. At worst, Lucifer.

Instead, you see nothing. The room is pitch black. It's as if the door mysteriously opened all by itself.

"What...?" you say quietly. Peering into the room from the outside, it appears empty.

You let go of Charlie's hand and say "I'm going in there."

"Not without me!" she says, grabbing you by the hand again. "We need to get to the bottom of this, and we're doing it together."