xii

Morgan Monteith

It was early morning when Morgan walked into the main living room, dressed in her workout clothes and ready to take on the day. A rather unusual occurrence since she usually enjoyed sleeping in.

Elena had just finished signing her name on the last page of the deed to the house as she looked up and spotted her and shot the girl a warm smile. Bonnie who was sitting next to Elena looked up as well and gave Morgan a tiny wave.

"Okay.." Elena stated as she handed the stack of papers to the lawyer who quickly left to go to another room to begin reading them through and assuring that everything was as it should be. "So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie questioned her friend impressed when the lawyer was out of hearing range.

"For now. As sole owner, she's the only one who can invite a certain type of people in here." Morgan explained vaguely in case the lawyer was listening. "Your own personal safe house." Bonnie concluded impressed.

"That's the idea." Elena said with a shrug. Morgan looked around before chuckling as a thought struck. "I wouldn't want to be the one to clean it." Elena and Bonnie both laughed, agreeing with her statement before the lawyer came back with a polite smile on his face.

"Everything seems to be fine. Congratulations on the house Ms Gilbert." Elena smiled as she, Morgan and Bonnie followed him to the front door. "Thank you for everything, Mr. Henry." Elena replied nicely as she held the door open for him.

"–And have a nice day!" Morgan called after him as he got into his car and drove away. Damon and Stefan who had stayed outside until Elena had signed the papers watched Morgan amused as she waved until the car was out of sight.

"You're very chipper and up early today?" Morgan turned and smiled at Damon. "I am, I don't know why, I just woke up and felt well-rested and ready to go. Carpe diem and all of that."

Stefan and Damon looked to each other and shrugged at her before they simultaneously tried to follow the two doppelgängers over the threshold and into the house only to be stopped by some invisible force keeping them out. Stefan coughed awkwardly as he saw that neither of the two girls had noticed.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I completely forgot." Elena chuckled as she turned to them. "–Stefan. Would you like to come inside my house?" She asked dramatically making Morgan snicker as Damon sighed. "I would love to. Thank you." Stefan said as he walked inside and gave Elena a quick kiss on the forehead as he passed her.

"What are we, twelve?" Damon asked rolling his eyes, his signature smirk on his lips. "One of us is." Elena retorted making Morgan chuckle again which resulted in a glare from Damon. "–If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

Damon looked bored at Elena as he answered with a simple, "No."

"Seriously, Damon. My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?" The youngest doppelgänger said annoyed at the oldest Salvatore's resistance. "Yes, Elena. Sure."

"Then please, come in." Damon entered and looked annoyed at Stefan and Morgan who were both trying to contain their amusement as Elena closed the front door.

"Shut up." He told them firmly, only to hear Morgan snicker as soon as he'd passed them.

"Bonnie, you ready?" Elena asked as the ebony girl walked in from another room with two jackets under her arm, one of which she threw to Elena after sending her a brief nod of her head.