Chapter 5: No Time Like the Present

"Kintsugi. You're not trying anymore." 

The thin rays of light from the day's sun tried their best to lighten the mood, but the old face of Rashaan stared on sadly, his forehead furrowed. 

"I can't help you if you don't try."

"I am!" she retorted.

Rashaan looked at her in surprise. 

"S-sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you Master, it's my fault. Your...right. I-I'm not trying."

She was sitting at the bottom of the entrance steps facing away from him, willing herself to stand.

Thoughts, memories, even daydreams all swirled in her mind as she tried to drown her frustration and disappointment. There was no time for failure's friends.

She'd grown dizzy and tired from practicing with the fire-bending students but she had yet to show any progress. 

A ball of air later and she had managed to land at the bottom of the school. 

Typical of her to give up. Typical to just head out when the going got tough. She wanted to do better, to be able to make Rashaan give even a small smile of approval at her success.

Seeing the other students able to create giant balls of heat so easily when the day was done, compared to her tiny flame after three days of work, set her on edge.

It was to be expected, she supposed. Being the Avatar didn't mean it would come easy. Did it?

"But, please, let's just go back. Please," she whispered. 

She held on to the hope that Rashaan would end the day's training. Perhaps they could visit the local sweet shop on the way to the earth temple and get something sugaring. Make a bad situation into a good occasion.

"No."

Her shoulders curled forward as the lone reply bounced through her mind.

Rubbing at her roughly shaven head, she stood and turned to face him with a smile.

"Then I guess I should go back in, huh."

She walked briskly up the steps, tired legs, tired arms, and a tired mind not willing to fight or care anymore, this time.