Chapter 12: Human Error

The corners of her mouth quirked up at the assembly before her. It was all she could muster to show some semblance of geniality before the council, her mask covering the upper portion of her face.

She really wanted to punch someone and leave.

"Kakashi, I must admit, your reputation is quite impressive..."

"Thank you Dimyō-sama..."

"...but I must say, I have my doubts about...this woman."

It had been in Kintsugi's favor that the Fire Dimyō had already been called to discuss the annual Leaf's budget and when Kakashi had presented Kintsugi's generous contribution before the counselors, things could line up no better. 

Yet all she wished for as she scratched her itching arm, was to be done with it and leave.

The Dimyō sniffed his nose in her direction, eyeing her mask but turning to look elsewhere as he caught his own reflection on its surface. 

"You seem rather sure of what she can do."

"As sure as I can be Daimyō-sama."

"Council, what say you?"

With a plastered smile on his face, Danzō turned to speak.

"Dimyō-sama, I believe what these two have presented before you may be beneficial to the village. There are several...programs, that would benefit from the added funding."

"I suppose..."

"...and if it means the money stays in Konoha..."

"True, I suppose it wouldn't be against us," the Daimyō said as his small, dark eyes shone at the thought. 

"...but, Daimyō-sama, there is one thing that I suggest before agreeing to this plan."

Kintsugi didn't even have to sense it, she knew he was looking at her in that moment.

"I suggest my division be in charge of her supervision for the time being. If she can prove what she claims to be able to do for the village, then there should be no problem with agreeing to the rest of her terms..."

Kakashi's brows drew together. 

"She's presented quite the business plan, so I'm sure we can go back and review it at any time if there's any issue there, but as for her standing...that is another question."

"As long as she shows evidence...," the Daimyō hummed.

"Correct."

"Shouldn't we still have Kakashi as her guardian?" said the woman Kintsugi knew only as Utatane.

"I agree, I think it would be best we still have someone physically by her side," Danzo added.

"Then the council concurs," Mitokado lifted his glasses. 

The familiar feeling of being questioned before examiners, not as a person, but as an investment, was not lost on her. The people before her weren't any different from those back in her own world. 

Human error.

Her error to even begin to think they might react any differently when presented with the offer of something like money in their pockets.

"Oh, and one more thing. Though you have carried a certain amount of anonymity, there is the matter of filling out your file..."

"My file?"

"Yes, think of it as a sort of register the village needs to create for any new visitors."

"An identification," Kakashi whispered to her.