ELEVEN. a magnetic force

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The car ride back to the Molina's residence was tense. If Flora had a knife with her, she actually would've tried to cut the tension in the air. Ray Molina didn't utter a word and both girls knew he was giving them the silent treatment. The worst kind of treatment anyone would want to receive. Even when he parked the car and got out, Ray said nothing. The girls sighed and walked up the pathway to the house, with Ray following behind them. It was only when they reached the house that Ray finally spoke.

"Julie, we need to talk," Ray said. Flora decided to take this as her cue to leave and she headed toward the front porch. However, she was stopped immediately by Ray. "Not so fast, Flora. Wait there." Flora groaned and leaned on the wooden frame of the porch. "So, after skipping school, missing a test, you decided to sneak out and drag Flora with you even though I told you to go to your room and study with her?"

"I know. I'm sorry," Julie replied.

"Yeah, you keep saying that. If you just let me in, I could've been excited about tonight instead of having this conversation we both hate. Why didn't you tell me you were in a band?"

"It all just happened so fast. These last couple of weeks have changed my life. When I play music, I feel so much closer to Mom."

"And I love that. You know I do. But your Tía is right. School needs to come first."

"I know, but without the band and Flora, I would've never made it back into the music program."

Flora approached the father-daughter duo and stood beside Julie.

"Those guys really helped Julie and I that day," Flora added.

"They played with us when we were trying to earn back our spots," Julie told him.

"They did?" Ray asked, shocked at the revelation.

"And they brought Julie and I back together again," Flora piped in.

"I think this is my thing, Dad."

"Well, I'd be a jerk of a dad if I took that away from you," Ray began. "Look, if you're gonna stay in this band, you need to keep up with school, and you need to keep me in the loop. And Flora, you have to tell your grandparents."

Flora nodded her head at that, deciding that she'd tell her grandparents when they came back home.

"Really?" Julie checked as she looked up at her dad.