FOURTEEN. unfinished business

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The star-filled night sky provided comfort for the girl who sat on her front porch with her acoustic guitar in her arms. Flora remembered spending most of her nights outside when she was young with her dad. The two would stay outside for long, sometimes even falling asleep there. Her father would always sing a song for her on his guitar, the very same one Flora held, and Flora always sang along. Now, Flora was alone, but she'd always come out and sit on the porch on starry nights, keeping the tradition alive. She sang her dad's favorite songs, ones that he taught her, and a song that she'd recently been working on. Sometimes she'd talk to him about her life too, like right now.

"Maybe you've met the boys, Papi. I know would like them. They brought Julie and me back together." Flora smiled up at the sky as she strummed a random melody. "You'd love Alex. He's our drummer. Tomorrow, I promised him that I'd teach him the Mean Girls Jingle Bell Rock dance, but first, we have to watch the movie. Oh, and Luke, too. He's the lead guitarist and lead singer alongside Julie. He would love your tacos. Actually, anything that you cook. And Reggie..." Flora sighed at the thought of him, the events from the morning still fresh in her mind. A painful reminder that things don't always work out the way you want them to. "He's our bassist. He has his moments, but you'd love him. He's really sweet and really defensive about Star Wars. Today, I think I ruined... whatever was going on between us. I don't think things are going to be the same." Flora rested her chin on the side of her guitar. "I miss you, Dad. I wish you were here with me and singing songs with me and just making sure I don't crash and burn."

Flora was about to play the song she had been working on, but then stopped when a familiar bassist appeared next to her. Flora's brown eyes dilated in shock. She didn't think Reggie would want to speak to or see her after today.

"I was wondering where you were. I could've asked your grandparents but, you know," Reggie said, earning small smile from the girl. "Why are you out here?"

"Talking to my dad," Flora replied as she looked up. "Plus, I like the scenery."

"Yeah, me too," Reggie agreed. However, he didn't look up but kept his gaze on the girl next to him. Flora averted her eyes from the stars and to the one right beside her as she gave him a small smile.

"I didn't think you'd voluntarily want to see me."

"You're not getting rid of me that easy," Reggie voiced and Flora let out a chuckle, plucking on her strings. The boy furrowed his brows upon noticing her guitar and the open notebook beside her. "Are you working on a song?"

"No," Flora quickly replied. She saw Reggie's curious eyes land on the notebook. The brunette boy gave her a smirk before lunging forward for the book. Flora mimicked his movements, but unfortunately, Reggie's reflexes were quicker. "Reggie!"