Just Another Day

Warning: This Part involves Anxiety attacks, And mentions of Abuse. Please if you are sensitive to this don't read!

_____________

        Yelling ripped through my room like pulling off a bandaid. “Dad’s awake.” I sighed and looked over at my alarm clock. It’s after 10, “I’m late. Fuck. Fuck! Fuck!!” I stood up quickly before I had to sit back down,
         “Again?!” I called out before covering my mouth, “Please say he didn’t hear me. Oh please Lord, say he didn’t hear me.”
           I looked at the door, the yelling had stopped, it had gone quiet. I leaned against the wall as my mother’s voice broke the silence.
“Hey Ve, how ya feeling?” She asked, making my heart calm down. I nodded and pointed at my legs, she sighed getting the memo.

             “That’s a little strange… Maybe you're getting sick.” Her answer made me panic, I can’t be sick, I'd have to stay home with… Him. I shook my head and tried to stand again. My eyes burned for a moment before I hit the ground, my anxiety spiked as panic set in more.

            “D-dammit…” I muttered as she kneeled next to me and helped me sit up. She looked at me with worries and I sighed as our eyes met, “I don’t know what's wrong. But I don’t wanna stay home with him…” I felt her hand brush my cheek, it was calming.

            “Virgil, I’m staying home today to take care of you. Your father stormed out when I told him. He’ll probably be back later.” Her voice was helping guess that’s why they happened around her, she could help.

           “Alright… I love you mom.” I told her as I sighed and put my arms out, showing I wanted help, or at least a hug. She moved and grabbed my wrist gently pulling me up. I stood, my legs didn’t start to wobble then she let go of me and I didn’t fall. As I took a step forward she sighed and smiled.

         “I love you too Honey.” A smile crept across my face as she told me. My hand went up to my head before I ran my fingers through my hair. “This is gonna be a long day…” As my mother left my room I sighed walking to my door closing it behind her.
I stretched, hearing my back pop before I relaxed again.
         I changed my clothes, putting on a pair of black leggings and a white t-shirt. Since my body was an AC Unit, I pulled on my hoodie, happily snuggling into the warm fabric. I walked down the stairs, noticing a untouched plate on the table.

          “Did you make dad something he didn’t eat?” I called out as I skipped the final two steps, jumping over them and looking around me for my mother.

         “Behind.” I turned around my heart suddenly pounding, I sighed as I noticed it was just her. “S-sorry… You scared me.” I said, noticing her gently nodding before slipping past me. Her eyes seemed blank, did something dad said get to her. I bit my lip, not noticing the blood slowly being drawn after I stopped and walked into the kitchen.
        I wasn’t hungry but I knew my mom would really want me to eat. Grabbing a Granola bar I took a few bites before putting it down feeling like I was gonna puke. I quickly covered my mouth and took a deep breath before sighing as the feeling left.
        “God..” I sat on the couch, my hand going to my pocket. “Damn it..” I stood up reluctantly, and walked over to the stairs climbing quickly but quietly, just in case my mom was gonna try to sleep.
         I stepped inside of my room, walking over to my phone. As I pulled it off, my device revealed the fact it was dead, I sighed unplugging my charger and walking down the stairs. With both of my belongings in hand.
         My eyes burned again. I shifted my charger into my pocket and rubbed at them as I walked down the staircase, sitting back down on the couch. The burning subsided quickly, my phone then buzzing, making me jump as it did so. I looked at it, my eyes widening a bit.
        “It’s charged?!” I looked at it again confused by the jump of power. I put my phone down and ran my fingers through my hair again. My phone buzzed again, as I reached down I noticed the caller ID.

“Patton!” I picked it up quickly, hitting the answer button.

“Kiddo! Are you okay?” The courned but gentle voice. Patton was the one person in the group who would light up a room the moment he walked in, his voice was so gentle and soft no matter what tone he spoke in. If someone has a single hint of being uncomfortable his voice would become softer.

“Hey Pat, I’m fine.” I told him, my voice self consciously going gentle as well. “I just have some body pain and Nausea. Nothing too bad.” I had been pacing, not surprised by this. I hated phone calls, I may be an introvert but when it came to my friends, I liked to talk face to face. As I held my phone up to my ear, my free hand started to play with my hair as the conversation continued.

“Oh… Is it bad? I really wanna see you tomorrow! Seeing you guys is the best part of my day!” I could tell he was smiling, it was obvious in his voice. I heard something in the background, “Someone else?”

“Hey Dad, you with one of the others?” I asked as he continued his conversation before he gasped.

“Yeah! I’m so Kiddo! I told the other’s I’d call, Remus was asking if I got you-” He was cut off.

“Virgin!” The voice was recognisable, along with the nickname. I sighed and replied.

“Hey Remus. Put Pat back on the phone.”  I heard a groan before suffling.

“I’m Okay.” Patton’s voice came through the phone again, “We gotta head back to class. You drink plenty of water and eat something healthy.” I chuckled, always thinking of our well being. “Oh! I love you Virgil.” I heard Remus in the background telling Patton to hurry.

“Love you too Patton, don’t be late to class or you will get an earful from me.” I told him, I’ve said that a lot. Never actually had to lecture him, guess that’s why he’s Dad.
            I heard the phone beep as I pulled it away from the side of my head. I smiled at the profile picture I had used for his contact. It was from a sleepover we had had a few years back. Never saw a need to change it, Patton was Patton. No picture would explain him more than the one I used.
         I heard a loud bang come from the front door, along with the heavy footsteps I have registered to be my father’s for the past 16 years. I grabbed the granola bar off the coffee table, quickly shoving it into my pocket before checking my phone.

          It was after one, I had been up for so long but it felt like only a few minutes. I pulled my hood up as he walked past me, I stepped aside. “I’m so not gonna risk getting on his bad side today.” He slammed the door of their bedroom. I could tell he woke up my mother by the conversation they quickly started.
          I turned and walked up the stairs once more, I didn’t wanna be down there when he started yelling. Mom always managed to calm him down, I’ve never managed that. Maybe it was a mom thing.
            I closed my door as the yelling started, I could hear the terror in her voice as she told him to calm down. I wrapped my arms around myself, turned on the light, then sat on my bed. The sound blew through the house shaking the foundation that we lived on. I felt the panic start to pulse through my own being.
           I groaned as the burning in my eyes returned again, stopped hugging myself and instead rubbed at them. The panic along with the pain, made my anxiety spike. “I haven’t had a Panic Attack from the fighting in months. Why are my eyes-”
I groaned again laying on my back, burying my face into my hands.
     I had started hyperventilating, I uncovering my eyes before noticing the lights. They had been flickering, "I had changed the light bulb last week.." I sat up still panicking before I heard my mother scream.
         Right as she did so the light bulb popped. I looked up and saw a faint glow around me. I looked around my dark room. “Why could I see fine.. The lights out.." I looked around the glow of Purple and Green not going away. I walked over to the light switch my mind had drowned out the yelling.
      I noticed the glow was following me so I slowly walked over to the Mirror I had across the room. I walked in front of it and covered my mouth.

My eyes were glowing.

__________

Word Count: 1.5k
Characters: Virgil, Mrs. & Mr. Storm, Patton, and Remus