Gym Class

Warning: Mentions of Anorexia and bullying.
_______________

    We stood on our separate sides, Patton and I were standing next to each other. Across from us was Remus and Gabe who looked at Patton like he was a piece of cake. I looked over at my friend, we’re the smallest people in our class so we are extremely underestimated. I glanced at Coach before leaning closer to Patton.
    “When the game starts, walk to the other side of the court. I’ll walk with you because by the time we get over there the balls should be able to be thrown letting us guess where they are gonna come from.” I smiled at him, he simply nodded clearly not feeling the greatest.
    The teacher called out and started making me smile to myself. “At least I can check for one thing on the list.” As Patton and I moved as planned I noticed that Roman had managed to grab two balls.
    “Virgil!” he called when I can only guess he noticed my staring, he threw a ball in my direction. I caught it with surprising ease before I returned my attention to Patton who was cowering behind me. I wish he would just ask to sit out, but his parents didn’t like it when their son didn’t try in school.
    I smiled at him again noticing his lips move, I don’t know when I turned around exactly. All I know is that next thing I knew I had two balls. I handed it to Patton and added a mental note, “Yep, Definitely enhanced awareness,” Just because Logan is the nerd doesn't mean I can’t be smart.
    Roman moved closer to the two of us, we had the mutual choice to protect Patton without even discussing it. I chucked a ball at Remus. He seemed surprised when he found out who threw it. I smirked at him sticking out my tongue before he flipped me off.
    I looked back over at the older twin watching as he caught a ball. Patton threw his own ball not hitting anyone or anyone catching it. I heard a light whimper from his direction when no one was hit by the ball. I smiled gently before handing him the ball I had turning back around to find Roman basically shoving another ball down my throat.
    No one was bouthing to throw the balls in my direction because of the fact I had never tried in this class until today. Protecting the best father of the group was my only reason.
    “Hey Virgil, sorry about this.” Patton said as he threw the ball back in the direction of the other team, he hit someone’s thigh.
    “Don’t worry about it Pop-star. You don’t have to worry about it.” I told him as Roman yelled,
    “Virgil, look out!” I turned my head, the ball flying right beside it, my heart had stopped for a second.  “Remus!” Roman continued nailing his brother in the face with his own ball.
    I picked up the ball that was thrown at me and held it up as Patton tugged on my shirt, “Are you alright Kiddo?” He asked as I sighed and threw the ball again hitting the Gabe kid in the back.
    “I’m okay.” I told him with a smile before putting my arm out and catching a ball that almost slammed into his face. I hadn’t even seen it, I don’t think Roman did either. "Damn.. You alright?" I asked as Roman latched onto my arm making my face feel warm, luckily it wouldn't be noticeable under my makeup.
    “Virgil! Fucking hell how-” He started before Patton cut him off, Roman then got hit in the stomach by a ball, I choked back a chuckle as he groaned letting go of me. Patton picked up the ball he had been hit with before we looked to see who was still in on our team and the other group.
    Me and Patton along with Zack were left, the other team had Janus, Logan and Jo. I was surprised the teacher had stopped calling jailbreak considering we’d only been playing for 10 minutes.
“Patton! Stop being a coward!” Zack yelled in our direction, I simply rolled my eyes and looked over at Pat before sighing.
“He isn't  feeling the greatest, give him a break.” I told him as I chucked a ball in the direction of the opposing team. I was glad no one caught it but kinda sad it didn’t hit someone.
“Well that doesn’t matter! He should have told Couch!” I rolled my eyes as he said that, only to hold back my laughter as he got hit by a ball thrown by Janus.
Jan had a big smirk on his face as he did so, he’s not afraid to stick up for the other’s. I smiled as he walked off the playing field, Patton threw a ball and managed to hit Logan.
“Sorry Logie!” He called out as Logan walked off of the field as well simply smiling at Patton. I rolled a ball over to Patton moving to the back of the field with him, smiling at Jo and Janus. I may not like doing this kinda stuff but I was competitive.
I knew Jan wasn’t gonna throw at Pat, so we needed to take out Jo and let Janus Catch a ball for a Jailbreak and then catch our own or just get Janus out and finish the round.
I pushed my hair out of my eyes and looked at Patton who held his own ball looking a little nervous, my guess is he doesn’t wanna take a ball to the abdomen.
    I chucked a ball in the direction of Jo, it missed but at least he didn’t catch it. I looked over at Patton who had also thrown his ball, it skimmed Jo’s leg and luckily he counted it and walked off. I sent a smile at Pat before looking at Janus. He smirked and picked up his ball throwing it in my direction before Pat threw on in his. We caught both balls, getting him and Patton out.
    “At least he can sit out for the rest of Class.” Once the game had started back up I went back to how I normally was and sat on the floor with a smile on my face. I pulled out my phone and waited, I’ll get out eventually.
    When the teacher called for us all to go change back into our clothes. As I walked back Patton had already entered along with Roman. Logan, Janus, and Remus were helping pick up the balls. I felt force on my back suddenly. I turned around to see Zack, his hand was balled up before I could say anything he slammed his fist into my back.
    “What the Hell man! We could have one if you hadn’t stopped caring!” He barked out, I was surprised I hadn’t grabbed the other attention from how loud I grunted during the impact.
    “I was helping my friend!” I told him as I walked closer to the door. He shoved me, making my head hit the door. I opened the door and entered the room, “He’d stop if I was near the others.” As I walked up to Roman the boy backed off, I sighed and changed my clothes before the bell rang. We were all sitting together waiting for the bell as Patton hugged me.
    “Thanks for your help my dark strange son!” He said his face covered in the brightest smile.
    “Actually, Virgil I have a question.” Logan said as Patton let go of me, I nodded in response, my heart immediately pounding. “Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck. They know something is wrong with me!”
    “How come you’ve never shown the fact you have good reflexes?” He asked me, stroking his chin as Patton smiled.
    “Oh! Yeah you were really cool!” He said with his same bright smile.
    “Yeah I guess, I just don’t like that kinda stuff.” I said rubbing the back of my neck, I had completely forgotten about my hand. Thank god they didn’t notice I caught a few of the balls with it. “The bell is gonna ring in just a moment. Pat, try to at least eat something small.” I told him as I rustled the top of his head.
    “Alright, I’ll try.” He said as the bell rang the group of us leaving the locker room and then the gym to head to lunch.

______________

Word Count: 1.4k
Characters: Virgil, Janus, Remus, Roman, Patton, Logan, Other Students, Couch Erian