Chapter 1

Disclaimer. I do not own anything from Naruto. I own the plot and if you want to build off my story please contact me first. Thank you. Enjoy!

________________________________________________________

Naruto looked around but saw nothing. His eyes weren't malfunctioning, there was nothing. No one. Just a barren landscape from his fight with Kaguya. He choked down a sob. Crying would not bring them back. All of a sudden, Naruto felt himself being pulled into his mindscape.

"Wha- Kurama?!"

"Kit... it wasn't me who pulled you in"  The fox's deep voice rumbled, slightly comforting Naruto. 

"Then wh-"

"That would be me, " came a soft voice from a shadowed figure in the corner where neither Naruto nor Kurama had noticed someone in. Stepping out into the more lit area, Naruto and Kurama both somehow recognized the being even though they had never seen the person. 

"Kami." both sucked in a breath. 

"Yes, I am Kami" the figure smiled. Naruto didn't know what to call them. Being Kami, they were neither male nor female but beautiful nonetheless. 

But what did Kami want with them? Kurama glanced at his kit. Naruto didn't need to suffer more. Kami seemed to read his mind.

"I am grateful for all you have done for this world, Naruto. It meant a lot to me but I was forbidden by the laws of the universe to have interfered. But no more. I won't watch you, the last shinobi, wither away alone. I promise to help you save everyone." 

Naruto, who had been tense relaxed with Kami's explanation as to why they hadn't helped them. But he didn't gain any hope with Kami's promise.

"It's too late. They're all gone."

"I know... and that's why I'm sending you back"

Naruto's head shot up. Could that really happen? Go back? Kurama, on the other hand wasn't as excited as Naruto. Would it work? How? He was also worried about how his kit would take to seeing the past. Naruto was already broken as is. 

"How would this happen"

Kami smiled at Kurama and looked to Naruto.

"Naruto, you would be sent back to a week or so before you became a genin. You will need to henge yourself because the shinobi would be suspicious if an older version of you suddenly appeared. Your younger self will still exist in that time. You will not be able to live the same role as in this life. Naruto, you would become a guardian of the shinobi and the world to prevent it from ever reaching this point again."

"So no one will know who I am?" said Naruto. He looked down sadly. He would not be one of the Konoha 12 again. 

"Actually, I will give Hiruzen and Jiraiya knowledge of what happened so they are able to prevent you from being labeled as a traitor."

Naruto beamed at the revelation. He had almost forgotten about seeing his sensei and jiji again. It was also nice to have someone to confide in when he went back. He glanced at Kurama, who nodded.

"Ok, we've decided. We will accept this mission to become guardians of the future!"

Kami started the hand signs to use their power to send the two into the past. Finishing the jutsu, Naruto's mindscape began to pulse light. Right before disappearing, they heard Kami say, "Because I am going against the law to help you, I will die. So I am giving you some of my power to aid you in your quest. Naruto along with Kurama, you will become the next Kami eventually so please protect my world and yours!" 

Naruto and Kurama were shocked to hear this but as they opened their mouth to say something, they were sucked away. Away to the past!