- - --- ꒰CHAPTER 2꒱

An Unexpected Match: Sanemi
And Babies

"Shinobu, your eyes enlarge to such an alarming size it's disturbing."

"I think the right word is 'pretty' is it not?" Shinobu retorted, "It's just hard to believe you named a baby. And it was a decent name too, as I heard."

"I did. Ask Kanroji."

They sat in the infirmary on an empty bed. Giyu had arranged the meeting because he had something to entrust to her. Now that the baby was alive and well, there were many, many other things the poor Water Pillar had to wrap his head around.

"Kocho, could you... take care of (Y/N) when I'm on missions?"

Shinobu didn't look surprised, but she hesitated nonetheless, "I'm not good with babies. Or children in general, for that matter."

It was true. Although the role of a caretaker was partially assigned to her, Shinobu found babysitting a fatigue-filled chore, having a biased distaste for children. But Giyu was right. (Y/N) would need someone. Someone who had a great sense of family responsibility... someone who had taken care of young children before.

"Oh!"the Insect Pillar said with a start, "Actually, I know just the person!"

"Who?"

"This might sound a bit strange but...."

Giyu threw his head back "Kocho, if you say Sanemi--"

"Sanemi-kun!"

"..."

.

.

.

The man in question was silver haired with a constant air of aggression. Sanemi sat on the front porch of the Butterfly Mansion, cleaning his sword. He rubbed the cloth over it once, twice, observing his own scarred eye reflecting in the silver blade, and in an instant, thought of his younger brother. Perhaps it was time they mended misunderstandings. It had been far too long since they talked to each other properly without recurring hurtful words.

In the corner of his eye, he spotted Giyu and Shinobu walking towards him. Well, it was mostly Shinobu doing the walking- and Giyu being dragged along.

What the hell do they want? No one approached Sanemi. Unless it was for fights or business with missions. Small talk to the imitating Sanemi? You had a death wish.

Sanemi could only imagine she was going to catch him off guard, while pretending to have friendly intentions. The sly little fox. He'd beat her to it! Sanemi thus, pulled his sword from the cleaning cloth and readied it for any attack.

Instead of attacking him, however, Shinobu sat beside him elegantly, and pushing her hair back behind her ear, leaned forward.

"Sanemi-kunnn~ You know Giyu and I are both very busy," Shinobu muttered into his ear sweetly, "Will you be able to watch his baby? Children need much attention, I am afraid."

Sanemi stared at both Pillars for a good three minutes before letting out a loud, "Ehhhh?!"

Had he heard that right? Giyu's baby?

A Deeper Look: Sanemi's Heart

"It is natural that a man like him would refuse, Kocho."

"Hmph. But it was worth asking!"

The hidden and suppressed memories of Sanemi came flooding back as Giyu said these words. How his younger siblings had clung to him when they were scared, how he'd feed them when they were sick. In truth, it had felt nice, to protect someone so helpless.

Maybe this was a chance... a chance to "open his heart" as Kanae had always told him.

Kanae...

As a disguise to his sentimental thoughts, Sanemi growled at the Water Pillar,

"Don't underestimate me, f*cker. Of course I can. Who says I can't?"

"Yay!" Shinobu said, clapping her hands, "(Y/N), you be a good boy to uncle Sanemi, alright?"

The baby was passed into Sanemi's scarred arms. He fought back a smile, looking down at the it's soft features.

"(Y/N)? Who gave the baby that name?"

Giyu spoke up, "I did."

"He's gonna grow up all wimpy if he keeps that name."

"So?"

"Hey (Y/N), when you're with Uncle Sanemi, your name's gonna be 'Tough Guy', alright?"

Giyu and Shinobu left Sanemi throwing (Y/N) up and down.

--------

"That went surprisingly well."

A/N: We love sanemi being a soft boi. (ᗒᗩᗕ)