- - --- ꒰CHAPTER 3꒱

3 years later.

(Y/N): A Tough Guy

(Y/N) liked the times when the new girl, Aoi, gave him extra sweets.

He liked the times when Uncle Rengoku patted his head.

He liked the times when papa would teach him how to hold his own tiny bamboo katana, leaving him to wonder when (Y/N)'s would ever get to that cool blue color papa had.

He liked the times when Auntie Shinobu would give him colorful bandages.

He liked the times when Uncle Obanai would let him touch his snake. When Auntie Mitsuri squished his cheeks.

But most of all, (Y/N) liked the times when Uncle Sanemi would call him "Tough Guy."

Uncle Sanemi always called him Tough Guy, even now, when (Y/N)'s body felt hot with a high fever, his head dizzy, and his voice weak.

(Y/N) was often sick. At the young age of four, he had lived through several diseases and colds, governing a frail, weak constitution.

"Ey Tough Guy," Uncle Sanemi put a cool piece of cloth on his forehead, "You gotta go outside and soak up the sun. Immune system's gotta recover."

"I can't move." (Y/N) whispered, his (E/C) eyes filling with tears.

Uncle Sanemi sighed, "I'll carry ya then. Get that blanket off of ya."

Demon Slayers: An Elusive
Dream

A gentle breeze blew and the sunlight was soft and warm. The Wind Pillar sat down on the porch, putting (Y/N) in his lap. The boy looked at a pair of Demon Slayers training wistfully.

"I'll never be a Demon Slayer, will I?" He muttered.

Sanemi gazed at (Y/N), surprised, but growingly said, "Who says ya can't?"

"Auntie Shinobu. She was talking about it with Papa the other day."

Sanemi guiltily agreed with Shinobu. There was no way a boy this weak could endure the harsh training that Demon Slayers went through.

But that didn't mean that he had to ruin the innocent child's dreams.

"Oi, Tough Guy. That ain't true, you hear? You're stronger than other people."

"What? Really?" (Y/N)'s eyes widened.

"You're sick all the time, but whenever you get sick, your body gets stronger and faster."

Sanemi thought of other encouraging things to say. He hadn't given out compliments in a long time. He had forgotten how hard it was.

"'Cause ya see, ya don't build muscle until ya rip it. One day, you'll suddenly shoot up and be real strong."

Had he lifted the kid out of depression? Sanemi observed (Y/N)'s features.

The hopefulness in the young boy's smile made his heart ache.

Sanemi hesitated. Had he gone too far? Had he giving the child false hope?

"Ight, let's head back inside Tough Guy." Sanemi lifted him to his shoulders.

The impact his words had done to young (Y/N)'s heart was far beyond his comprehension.