- - --- ꒰CHAPTER 6꒱

Memories: (Y/N)'s Future

Shinobu left (Y/N)'s room and walked down the lamp-lit halls. Her thoughts wandered back to what Sanemi had said.

"Shinobu... He's ecstatic to become a Demon Slayer."

"It is nearly impossible. He will perish within a week." She said as realistically as she could.

Sanemi looked forlorn, "I understand. I- Well, it is just that he overheard you talking with Giyu about him being unable to train. I encouraged him, but I think he took it far too seriously."

Shinobu's eyes widened in mock surprise, "YOU encouraged him?"

Sanemi blushed. "I am shocked myself, but yes, I did."

"I want the best for him."

"....."

"For now, we will have to continue his training as a Butterfly Mansion servant. I am very sorry."

(Y/N): A Lamentation

(Y/N) stood by his bed, his simple, childish mind in a complicated state. Auntie Shinobu had left him a piece of news in the morning. He had mixed feelings about it.

"Ohayo (Y/N)!!" Naho ran up to him, her braids bouncing behind her.

"U-Uh... Ohayo..."

Naho looked worried and frowned, "... Are you okay?"

(Y/N) sighed, "I'm starting training today--"

"Ooo~" the girl interrupted, jumping onto (Y/N)'s bed and facing her eyes to the ceiling, "Who's training you?"

"I'm training to become a butler for the Butterfly Mansion. That's what they said." (Y/N) muttered.

There was a pause.

Naho turned to the boy, confused, "What's a butler?"

"That's what I thought. So I asked Auntie Shinobu. And--" the (H/C) child took a deep breath, "She said it was a fancy word for a boy maid."

The girl sat up and pulled her knees up to her chest. She rocked back and forth.

"We get to play more together then!" Naho said with faltering optimism, "But... you wanted to become a Demon Slayer, didn't you... "

(Y/N) crawled onto the bed beside Naho and put his hands in his lap.

"I knew it couldn't happen all along." he whispered in his timid way, "I'm too weak."

The black-haired girl reached her arms out and hugged him, feeling the boy relax under her embrace. (Y/N) put his head on the crook of her shoulder.

"H-Hey." Naho stammered, "No calling my friend weak, okay?"

"...."

"...Okay."

It was on that day (Y/N) encountered  reality in it's cold, hardened existence. It was on that day he knew, his wishes were far from what life had in store for him. And it was on that day he truly realized...

He was weak.