- - --- ꒰CHAPTER 5꒱

(Y/N) and Naho giggled, then looked up in unison at the setting sun.

"Want a dango?" the boy offered.

Naho spoke in her gentle, calming, voice that always soothed (Y/N) when he was ill.

"Sure."

After passing her the requested dango, he blew away an irritable stray strand of his (H/C) hair, then sat behind Naho to redo her braids. His hands were small, soft, but skillful- and just as he was adept at doing girls' braids, he was also quite talented in taking care of things around the mansion, doing work that the other servants did.

He felt useful that way.

"Two braids or one braid?"

The girl looked thoughtful, "Hmm... I wanna do one today."

"Gotcha."

Naho was (Y/N)'s only good friend that was his age. They were always together, whether it was disturbing Aoi or planning mischief.

(Y/N) had always thought that Naho was strong. She could pick up entire medicine box by herself, or run along the top wall surrounding the Butterfly Mansion. Compared to her, his frail limbs lacked the sturdiness.

He had never understood how Naho, Sumi, and Kiyo were always referred to as the "three young butterfly servants." They had individual names. And they were all special, especially Naho.

"(Y/N)?" Naho asked while chewing her dango, "How old 're ya goin cho turn next monch?"

"Don't talk with food in your mouth, silly." (Y/N) laughed.

The girl swallowed quickly, "How old are you going to turn next month? Are you gonna be older than me now?"

"I'm turning five."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

A diligent silence ensued between the two friends. (Y/N) finished up his braid and lay down next to Naho.

"Auntie Shinobu's probably gonna call me for bed. I gotta go."

He felt somewhat hesitant eyes on him.

Naho tugged on his uniform, "Wait, one more thing,"

The girl lightly kissed his cheek.

Naho: Someone Strong

Both of them stood rooted, blushing furiously. (Y/N) spoke first.

"Why though?"

Naho smiled shyly as if it were the most obvious thing in the world,

"You're nice."

"T-That's all?"

"Yeah."

(Y/N) sat beside Naho once more, "I think you're strong."

-----------

"(Y/N)!" the sweet voice of Auntie Shinobu called out, "Time for bed!"

Naho's cheeks turned pink. (Y/N) gave her a small head pat as a parting gift.

"Coming!"

Auntie Shinobu's hand clasped his. (Y/N) looked up at her inquisitively.

"Auntie Shinobu?"

"Yes?" She smiled.

"What is it called, when someone puts their lips on your cheek?"

"What?"

"It felt nice..." (Y/N)'s words trailed off.

"Ah!" The Pillar squeezed his hand, "It's called a kiss!"

The boy's eyes widened, "A kiss..."

They were almost to his room. As (Y/N) stepped into his bed, Shinobu asked him in a bantering tone.

"Who's the lucky girl?"

"Naho-chan."

That is good. Shinobu said to herself, At least he'll be happy with her. Afterall, he will spend his lifetime serving in the Butterfly Mansion.

(Y/N) dreamt he was a strong demon slayer, heroically saving people from the bloodthirsty creatures, protecting Naho.

He smiled in his sleep.