13. too much time to spend alone

You spend a month in LA, doing auditions and screen tests for pretty much any movie that asked, keeping busy enough that you didn't even have time to think. You do two episodes of NCIS and table read for a pilot in development, and send in several audition tapes for a few big name films who had contacted your agent. There's more than a few low budget high-school romcoms desperate to cast you, but they all seem to fall through, and honestly, there's no love lost when they stop contacting you.

You don't hear from Ben and you pretend it doesn't bother you.

When the month's up, and there's nothing tying you to America for the moment, you head back to England, much to your family, friends, and your bank account's, delight.

"You're squishing me, guys," you wheeze where Jamie and Merissa are crushing you in a hug at the airport. Andrew's standing back, expression soft fond, holding a the sign they'd made with your name on it in block letters.

"We're just making sure you're used to getting mobbed at the airport," Merissa says sincerely, and you can hear the smile her voice as she hugs you a little tighter.

"Our girl's a movie star," Jamie coos, petting the top of your head, which is your cue to make a face and struggle out of their grip. Perhaps you over-struggle a little, but Andrew catches you by the elbow and keeps you stable, and gives your shoulder a squeeze in lieu of a full hug; he's never been the overtly affectionate type, which you're thankful for in this moment.

"I thought mum was coming to pick me up," you mused for a moment, and the three of them shared a look.

"She asked us," Jamie said evasively.

"She's still getting your room ready," Merissa, as always, is a terrible liar, with numerous and amusing tells, but you narrow your eyes.

"Has she planned a homecoming party?" You ask, and they both do their best to act as if that's a preposterous idea.

"Of course she has," Andrew says with the faintest air of amused exasperation, and is already stepping around you to take the handle of your suitcase. You try to protest, telling him you could take it yourself, but he's just smiling, won't hear a word of it as he starts making his way to the carpark, leave the three of you to catch up.

"I'm never letting you keep a secret!" Jamie announces, hot on his heels, and Andrew throws an amused look over his shoulder.

"Peach, as if you could keep a secret from me," he jokes fondly, using the pet name you'd heard only a few times, but made your heart soft at the sound. It did not have the same effect on it's recipient, however, as Jamie puffs out his cheeks with indignance.

"Don't try to Peach your way out of this; I could if I wanted to," he blusters.

"Like?" Andrew prompted, but Jamie let out a sarcastic laugh.

"No way, you're not gonna trick me; I'm a fantastic secret keeper!" But there's something on the tip of his tongue that he seems desperate to spill, but it spitefully keeping quiet about as Andrew mouths the word fantastic with amusement.

"They got engaged last month," Merissa cuts in, and Jamie's mouth drops open in surprise as he hisses her name, scandalised. Andrew just lifted his hand to flash the thin, gold band at you, and you're taken aback, overwhelmed with excitement as Jamie and Merissa begin arguing.

"How is it a secret if you're actively wearing your engagement rings?!" Merissa proclaimed, and Jamie threw his hands in the air.

"They could be for something else! Or just a regular ring!"

"Congratulations," you speak over them with sincerity, and when he faces you, Jamie's beaming with pride, the argument already forgotten.

At now least you had a reason you wanted to celebrate tonight.