16. be still my foolish heart, don't ruin this for me

The news breaks on Deadline, and then subsequently explodes all over Twitter, at nine in the morning on your final day of reshoots.

[Tye Sheridan and Y/N Y/L/N set to co-star in Steven Speilberg's 'Ready Player One'] the article reads, and soon, everyone on set is buzzing with it, to which you, bemused and half asleep, smile and politely accept their congratulations. You've been up since five in the morning, filming since seven, and are yet to even touch your own phone to read what's been published. Tye isn't even on set.

Ben is surprisingly quiet on the whole situation, though at first you're pretty sure he hasn't heard the news; all the crew know, but it's slower getting around the cast. A makeup artist is touching up his cheek tattoos while in a break, and you're downing water like your life depends on it, and when you turn, she's talking, and he's watching you with pride in his eyes.

You give an awkward wave. The makeup artist pauses to see what Ben's chuckling at. Then they're both watching you with an expression you can only describe as awed. Something in your chest flares bright and pleased, and you give a goofy grin back; they're both laughing now, but it's not unkind.

"Spielberg," Ben whistles low when you get back to him, and the makeup assistant has absconded to help Oscar.

"Today X-Men, tomorrow the world," you shrugged, trying to play it cool, but Ben throws his arm around you.

"That's my girl," he grins, and for a moment, you lose the ability to speak. Before he can catch on, however, the director calls for everyone to get into position to start shooting again.

We have to celebrate, is the general consensus among the cast, who were already planning on celebrating the end of filming amongst themselves at lunch tomorrow, before the wrap party the following night, but now, not only were they celebrating an ending, but a new opportunity, a new beginning.

The last day of filming, apart from the news, is more fun than you'd been expecting it to be. It's a long day, going over the scene where the Horsemen come to the academy and kidnap Charles, the scene where Control takes Alex Summer's laser to the chest, and promptly detonates, killing him and destroying the school. Somewhere in the back of your mind, around lunch, you find yourself amused by the idea that in this film, you kill Tye's character's brother, and in Ready Player One, you're going to be romancing him.

Honestly, you thought you'd be more disappointed or upset that Apocalypse was coming to an end, but there's an underlying current among the cast and crew of 'this is not the last time we'll be seeing one another', and for that you're thankful. You've got the premiere to look forward to, and quietly, the next film. That still sends you reeling when you think about it too much.

You're the next villain. It still makes your heart skip a beat.

You've avoided looking at your phone all day once you'd heard that the news had broken, and unsurprisingly, when you finally check it while your prosthetics are being removed, there's an overwhelming amount of notifications.

There's five voice messages from each of your friends in the Most Trusted Advisors group chat, though, granted, three of Andrew's included Jamie being loud in the background. Your mother had sent congratulations, as did thousands of people on Twitter and Instagram. Of course more than a few strangers online don't take too kindly to the news, casting aspersions on your talent, but you try not to look at them, and block anyone talking too negatively.

There's talks amongst the cast about going out that night, but everyone who had been on set, yourself especially, just want a quiet night in. You're pretty sure you've earned a good night's sleep.