18. hold the line, love isn't always on time

One of the producers is holding a not-so-small get together in the penthouse suit of one of London's ritzier hotels, and when you asked if you could bring your friend along, the producer gives a shrug and waves you away; there's enough people going whose names he already doesn't know, what's one more? So you text Merissa where to meet you, and you get her past security to where the cast and crew are being picked up from; for the first time since you'd met her, Merissa is subdued. When you get back to the cast, she's quiet, even a little shy, and it takes you a few moments to realise she's starstruck.

Merissa offers compliments when someone speaks to her, always quick to point out something about an individual's performance in the film when she recognizes them, but she never approaches anyone.

"I feel like I know you from somewhere," Ben joins you and Merissa not long after you'd brought her around. The first round of cars had already left, and you're due to be ushered into the second. Merissa looks at him with her wide, nervous eyes, and then tips her head to the side as the realization hits her.

"You played football with my brother for five years," she says flatly; she's been aware of Ben's existence far too long to be intimidated by him, "Ryan Fitzroy, I'm Merissa-"

"Your friend Merissa," Ben turns to you, eyes sparkling with amusement, "is Little Fitzy?" he sounds delighted, though the reference goes over your head. You look helplessly to Merissa, whose face twists to something embarrassed at the old nickname, and she tells him to fuck off, but Ben's grin is a million watts as he slings an arm around you.

"You remembered her but not me?" It's far more genuinely annoyed than you'd anticipated it sounding, but it kind of feels a little like adding insult to injury. Ben, at the very least, has the decency to look a little embarrassed.

"Her mum used to take the team out for fish and chips after our game each week," Ben explained, "every Sunday for five years." And it seems even the nostalgia of it all is feeding into his good mood for the night.

"And mum always had me tag along and my brother's nickname was Fitzy," Merissa explained, voice heavy with resolution. You give her an apologetic look, but she seems to have relaxed somewhat, at the very least.

"How is Fitzy?" Ben asked casually, and Merissa sighed deeply, rolling her eyes.

"Failing his Masters and slutting his way across Ireland's many fine universities; he says hi, by the way," she adds, and Ben nods, and ruminates on this for a moment, before you spot Alexandra making her way over. Thank god.

"I can't believe I ever thought the two of you would actually talk to each other about your feelings before the premiere; now I owe Evan fifty bucks," Alexandra gives both you and Ben a shove, but she's grinning, before she turns to Merissa, "they're hopeless, right?"

"You are both far too invested in our love lives," you tut, but you can see Merissa already warming to her, suppressing a laugh.

"Absolutely," she agrees with a sly smile, shooting an amused look out the corner of her eye, before looking back at Alexandra, "you did an absolutely incredible job, by the way; I totally had a thing for Storm back in high school, and it's all come back full force."

"Oh I totally agree – about the high school crush thing, Halle Berry's," Alexandra's quick to clear up, making a noise of appreciation at the mere mention of her predecessor, smiling so bright and genuine as she regards Merissa with intrigue and amusement, "I am me, and I don't think I'm enough of a narcissist to have a crush on my character, at least not yet, maybe if I do another film." She laughing lightly, offering her hand, "Alex Shipp."

"Merissa Fitzroy, I'm a friend of Y/N's."

"I believe she's mentioned you before," the realization occurs, and Merissa's eyes go wide with a sudden dread and confusion, but Alex is quick to reassure her; she's good at that, "only good things, I promise; she loves you a lot, you know." Merissa's expression turns soft as she looks to you, something unspoken and grateful in her gaze.