c h a p t e r. t w e n t y - f i v e

Liora hadn't thought this through.

That day, a cool autumn breeze was blowing outside, and everyone was inside- studying. How was she to keep her mind off something for a week if studying, her main distraction, was already accounted for? She'd even written some extra credit essays out of boredom and will to win. Usually, she'd be talking to Mirabel, but who knew what Mirabel was doing?

Emmeline, Liora reminded herself. Her best friend had been doing a lot better and Liora knew that Mirabel was willing to talk, but the two girls had grown sort of distant during Mirabel's silent crash. See, that was the thing; Mirabel didn't like people seeing her vulnerable. Liora respected that but sometimes wished that she could see anyone other than the calm and studious Mirabel- behind the mask.

"Hey," Regulus said, breaking Liora out of her thoughts. She looked up in surprise- what was he doing here?

"Hi," She replied cautiously. Easing out of her cross-legged position, she moved over as Regulus sat down beside her.

"Wanna go out?"

"What?"

Regulus let out a small chuckle. "I'm free, and I don't exactly trust you to not lie to win. So, wanna go out?"

"What?" she asked. He raised an eyebrow, and she scowled.

"When did you get so confident?" Regulus's face fell for a second before keeping up his smirk. "I'm like that with people I know. Maybe you should try lowering down your guard as well." Standing up briskly, he offered a hand to Liora. "I'll ask again. Wanna go out?"

Liora sighed. "Sure, I guess." Batting away his hand, she stood up. "When are we going?"

"Now."

Her eyes bulged wide with shock. "Now?"

"Yes, now."

The pair wandered out of Hogwarts, making their way towards the Quidditch Pitch and sitting in the stands. The cool autumn breeze ruffled Liora's hair as she sat, looking down at the empty area.

"I've always wanted to try something," Liora said, breaking the silence. Regulus looked up in surprise.

"What is it?"

"You know those flying carpets?" she said. "The ones that are used in muggle legends. I've always wanted to charm a carpet and fly around. Or something like wings. Toy wings, the ones that people buy for their children. Don't laugh," she added as Regulus clapped a hand against his mouth to stifle his chuckles. "Don't laugh!"

After finishing his bout of laughter, Regulus composed himself.

"Brooms aren't good enough?"

"Stop!" Liora squealed through laughter. Lightly shoving Regulus, she pulled out her wand from one of the robe pockets, turning a dead leaf into a carpet. She raised an eyebrow at Regulus.

"Do you know the charm?" she asked carefully. Rolling his eyes, Regulus pulled out his wand and cast the flight charm.

Regulus found himself staring at Liora more than he was staring at the newly made flying carpet. Who knew that the Gaunt Girl had dimples, that she smiled properly, that she was- no. Regulus shook his head slightly, not even bothering to hide the grin that came on his face.

"So, are you going to ride the carpet or not?" Liora asked. Changing the grin to a smirk, Regulus glanced at the carpet disdainfully.

"No, I think I'll just take my broom. Accio!"

Liora shrugged and took off, flying surprisingly well for someone who didn't fly on something else like a broom. Regulus followed her closely as he observed her. The dark brown hair that looked almost black in the castle now looked a lot lighter.

"What are you looking at?" Liora scowled at Regulus, breaking the latter's train of thought. Regulus plastered a smirk back on his face before responding.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just that you're lying."

"What?" Liora whirled around, keeping her hands gripped onto the front of the carpet. "I'm not lying!"

"Oh, you are," Regulus continued. "You say your hair is dark, like your friend's, but look at this," He said as he reached over and pulled at one strand at her hair. The glossy strands gleamed a sugar brown color, and Liora was quick to bat away Regulus's hands- too quick, forgetting what she was on.

The carpet, not knowing where to go, began to plummet.

"My hell," Regulus muttered as he began to accelerate, catching Liora just as she was about to crash- and just as she was about to grab onto the carpet tails. Below them, the carpet collapsed lifelessly onto the ground, and Regulus was able to lower Liora back onto the grass. After they both landed, Liora doubled over in laughter, moving away from Regulus and back onto the carpet.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever done," she choked through bouts of laughter. Regulus raised an eyebrow.

"Really?"

Liora nodded, her laughter slowing down as she stopped to catch her breath.

"Yeah. But you didn't need to rescue me. I had it all under control."

"Now did you?" Regulus smirked. Liora nodded, a playful scowl befalling her face.

"I did. And you really should be apologizing to me, because you distracted me."

Regulus raised his eyebrows, picking up his broom and moving back towards the rickety brown old broom shed, leaving Liora with her fallen carpet. She flicked her wand at it, and it turned back into the leaf it used to be. Starting to make her way back towards the castle, she was stopped by Regulus's voice.

"Next time you can fly with some toy fairy wings!" Regulus called without turning back. Liora whipped around in surprise, deciding to yell back something.

"There's going to be a next time?"

"Of course, sweetheart. Did you not want a next time?"

Liora's cheeks flushed and she walked faster towards the castle, not bothering to look back. Still in the Quidditch pitch, Regulus watched her return with a soft smile on his face before wiping the emotion from his face. How had a few hours been able to make him feel like this? It was dangerous. This was just a game, no matter what his emotions said.

And Regulus didn't want to hurt someone he cared about, no matter who they were. 

Neither one of them noticed the plume of colored smoke circling the two, waiting for a chance to pounce.