Chapter 1 - Their New Everyday

1

"Arata, we got it right where we want it. You take the flank! Let's finish this!"

Hearing the transfer student's orders, Kazuki Arata took a sharp turn mid-run.

Weaving his way past the lined up pillars, he momentarily using each one for cover.

Kazuki looked for a possible opening against the enemy, a large humanoid Nullity.

With its bulky arms and thick frame, it gave off the impression of a large ogre, one with a gem for an eye and spikes all over its back. Small gems likewise framed its arms.

Kazuki kept his eyes on the gems on the arm before they lit up and fired concentrated beams of red light.

He raised the shield on his left arm in an attempt to protect himself from the debris caused by the lasers. As each rock fell and whittled at his shield, he fixed his eyes forward and continued his run, making sure to come at the enemy from a circular running path.

The goal was to get past all the lasers, flank it from the side and put up his Armament in order to block the incoming smack from the Nullity.

While that's happening...

Kazuki glanced to the other side of the dimly-lit room and eyed his partner. Without a shield to protect herself, she relied on her much more agile movements in order to dodge the incoming attacks and rock chunks.

Using her speed to her advantage, Uehara moved from pillar to pillar as the two Awakeners concurrently approached the enemy.

The ogre Nullity let out a roar while the two closed in. The beams from its arms have stopped, so it instead raised those huge arms and took aim at the one person closer to him.

Kazuki, with his shield at the ready, saw this coming and decided to meet the attack head-on. The ogre Nullity pulled its right arm back and delivered a bone-crushing blow, only to have it blocked by the magical shield.

"Guh!"

Despite holding his ground, Kazuki flinched at the impact of the blow.

Even with the shield and its magically-enhanced extensions softening the blow, getting hit full force by a fist as big as his head still did a number. He struggled as he found his shield slowly losing ground against the pressing force of the fist.

The ogre raised its other arm, intent on finishing it and shattering the shield with the next blow.

"U-uehara, your turn!"

"Hiyaaaa!" echoed the female battle cry.

Soaring through the air, Sayaka Uehara raised her sword and came down after a mid-air flip.

The powerful punch from the ogre's left arm never came, as the entire limb fell down after being sliced by the female Awakener's Armament.

Kazuki welcomed the sound of blood and the loud thud that followed, and he found the weight pressuring his shield removed, only to hear the sound of a crash and a short scream.