Chapter 5 - Doubting, Wandering

1

"You've finally awakened?"

Interrupted by the arrow of light, the masked man finally spoke to Amagi. He tilted his head as if overcome by curiosity.

Amagi pulled her left arm back once more, letting loose another arrow of light.

This time, she gasped as it was deflected far more easily than it was before. Before it even came close to hitting the masked man, the woman in white attached to his back swatted the arrow away and diffused it into light particles.

With the masked man refusing to move the visible eye locked on her, Amagi felt her grip on her bow shake. She fired those shots to save her childhood friend, but now that the complete attention of this person was on her, there was the feeling of being crushed under the weight of the gaze behind that mask.

She felt the adrenaline from her early manifestation of the power begin to wear off, even as she looked at her downed childhood friend from a distance.

"You had to manifest your power in that form, huh? I'm disappointed. I wanted a new plaything."

"W-what are you talking about?"

Without answering her question, the masked man began a slow walk.

Amagi felt the weight behind each step that the man took. It was as if the world turned silent, and she could hear each step echo throughout the cathedral as the man slowly advanced towards her.

Her hand maintained the grip on the bow, but the power and resolution that were there seconds ago were gone, flushed away and replaced with hesitation.

"Say, would that plaything come out if I were to crush that toy in front of you? Would I be able to see that beautiful thing if I show you how powerless you still are in front of me?"

Now only a few feet in front of the girl, the masked man raised his tentacles in a menacing manner while the white specter stood in watch. He seemed unconcerned at the bow aimed at him.

Amagi forced herself to materialize an arrow of light once again.

This time, it whirled through the air, and with a thud, the arrow diffused as it hit the cathedral wall.

It was not even a good aim.

Amagi's eyes widened, and she felt her body slowly buckling under the pain she had sustained and the feeling of fear creeping over her.

"What should I do? Should I wrap these tendrils around you and choke out the last of your life force?" As if on cue, the tentacles on his arm separated into individual tendrils that writhed in place. "Stab you with them? Penetrate you and torment you in ways you've never imagined?"

The brunette shook and trembled at the words spoken. She never felt as small and helpless before, and even with the bow in hand, she accepted its utter uselessness.

"Maybe after those, the thing that I truly desired will manifest itself."

What is he talking about?

Amagi failed to comprehend those last words. Not that she could, given that her entire body was screaming for her to make a run for it. Despite everything, her legs were frozen in place.

Is this what fear really feels like?

She can only look on as the masked man continued to slowly close in on her. Now, the pale woman stretched herself out in a serpent-like fashion and went ahead of her master.

Amagi looked at those bladed arms that were now raised above the specter's head. They were ready to strike, and in a few moments, they would slash her apart...