Chapter 4 - Her Resolve

1

"The Class B is further ahead. We're almost there, Arata."

Kazuki kept up with his much-faster partner. Sayaka Uehara ran at full speed on the wide road that surrounded by ruins on both sides.

She seemed completely focused on the job of taking down the Class B Nullity.

On the other hand, Kazuki still found himself with a mild sense of discomfort. Seeing the ancient city in ruins admittedly brought back some memories of events that he would rather not experience again.

Granted, he now had the power to make sure that an event like his near-death would never happen again. Still, the sensation of being tossed around after having a mantis' scythe driven through him sent momentary shivers down his spine.

All of a sudden, a flicking sensation ran through his mind, and it caused him to stop abruptly.

"Wait, Uehara."

Having stopped his run, Kazuki turned to look at the place where the two of them just came from.

"What is it, Arata?"

Uehara gave him a curious expression while she walked to him.

"We have no time to waste."

In response, Kazuki closed his eyes. Then, it all became clear. There were presences of people inside the Fragment.

There were two... no, three. Two of them in close proximity, with one closing in from a distance.

"Can you sense it? Some people found their way here."

Uehara paused and looked at the same direction as Kazuki. "Indeed. There's three of them."

Now, a problem revealed itself. The three people and the Class B were in completely opposite directions. They need to choose which one to prioritize.

For Kazuki, the choice was obvious. He would go after the three people and save them. However, the problem lied in whether his partner would agree with his decision. He knew very well that the black-haired girl standing beside him would prefer going after the Nullity first.

He began thinking of the better course of action when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't give me such a troubled look like that, Arata. Go."

Sayaka Uehara gave him a look that clearly said "I know what you're thinking."

"Huh? But what about you?"

To that, Uehara scoffed and flipped her long hair. "Who do you think I am? Just so you know, I had handily defeated multiple Class Bs before you even got your powers."

Arata was not sure what to make of that, but if there was one thing that he can bet his life on, it is the fact that his partner and ally is more than capable of taking care of herself.

In his weeks of knowing her and fighting alongside her, the only time he ever saw her on the ropes was in the battle against the mad doctor, but due to circumstances, that does not count.

Against by-the-mill Nullities, even Class Bs, she was the monster for them to fear.

He would trust her, like the many times he had done so the past few weeks.

"Thanks, Uehara," answered Kazuki after a nod.

"Whoever finishes their job first goes to help the other one."

Kazuki smirked, "You can count on me!"

Sayaka Uehara placed her clenched fist out and nodded. "Promise me you won't get yourself into too much trouble. You've grown stronger, but don't get too ahead of yourself, okay?"