Verse I

Tuesday, September 3, 1974

|Minneapolis, MN|

     With just four minutes between classes, a love-stricken girl dashed out the room before the bell was even done dismissing.  Down the hall, up the stairwell, through the double doors, hard right to the East wing and boom.  There he was, in his locker switching out his History textbook for Earth Science.

     "Pick a number!" Dimitra demanded five feet away.

     "Huh?"  Prince Rogers Nelson.  The only boy that gave her weird tingles below the waist.

     "Pick a number!"

     Her secret crush looked down at the origami fortune teller in her hands as she landed at his side.  "Um...seven."

     Moving it back and forth, "One-two-three-four-five-six-seven.  'Kay.  Pick a color."

     "Uh...what's your favorite color again?"

     "Red," she smirked.

     "Okay.  Purple."

     Snickering, "P-U-R-P-L-E.  Pick another.  And don't say purple again."

     "You can't tell me what to not pick.  That's interfering with my fate."

     "Fine.  Pick a color."

     "Purple."

     Scoffing, she lifted the flap.  "'You will grow old with cats and birds.'  I told you not to choose purple.  It's not even your favorite color."  Leaning on the adjacent locker with a belly of butterflies, Dimitra tucked the silly yellow paper in her back pocket. 

     Prince's locker door slammed shut and he mirrored her cool pose.  "You made that?" he asked nodding.

     "My friend Becca.  And when I did it, it said I would grow old with the love of my life."

     "What color?"

     "Blue."

     "Mm," he moaned, plucking at the pink ribbon hanging from her collar.  "My favorite."

     "Nelson," Mr. Turner barked in passing.  "Back off."

     Rolling his eyes, Prince took a step back, book to his chest.  "Well," he sighed, wearing the cutest grin that sent her heart to the sun, "I'll see you later, Smurfette."

     "See ya, Gazoo."

     "I did not hear you just call me that."

     It's just a stupid piece of paper Becca folded up all fancy.  That's what Dimitra kept telling herself, but his fate was still bothering her.  And throughout the day as she shifted between classes, Prince would make fun of her mopey face.  So eventually, he slipped her a note after her lunch period.

Dimitra,

Tyka told me your little secret.  Morris??  He's such a BOBBLEHEAD!  He told me you told him his fortune too.  Maybe our cats and birds can be friends.

But seriously!  Don't get all heartbroken your first day of high school.  He's not looking for a girlfriend.  Nothing serious. 

Tyka also told me that you were asking about me all summer.  I left my aunt's place in July and I'm staying with Andre.   Now that you're here we can see each other more.  But not in public.  I can't get caught hanging with a FRESHMAN.