Middle 8

Friday/February 14, 1986

Upstate New York

     The classroom lights were out.  Students with their desks faced towards the TV on the cart were eating cookies while enjoying The Wiz.  Finishing up grading yesterday's tests, Camille was the only one not looking.

     Yvette Blue walked up to the classroom, three 13x9 trays in hand.  "Knock-knock," she announced at the door.

     The third graders all turned back and was delighted to see her, some yelling out their hello's to Miss Camille's Mommy; some got up, knees in the chairs to get a good view at the goodies. Only a few actually ran over to hug her. 

     "I can help you," little Raquan offered, running to meet her at the table Camille had set up for their treats. 

     "Oh, boy," Yvette said, helping make room.  "Where she get all these flowers from?"

     "Miss Camille has a boyfriend," he giggled behind his hand.

     "Alright, alright," Camille said sneaking up on them.  "Go sit down.  We'll pass these out."

     Raquan ran along back to his desk and Yvette, wide-eyed and smirking, questioned her daughter.  "These from Eric?"  There weren't only bouquets on the table but some on the floor and more on Camille's desk.

     "Thanks, Mommy," Camille said kissing her cheek.  "You didn't have to make these.  They had enough sugar.  Their parents are gonna kill me."

     "Oh, one more cupcake won't hurt.  They're small.  Or save it for the next class."

     "Looks like you made enough for the whole school."

     "He's the wiiizzzz! He's the wizzzaaarrd!"  The kids up on their feet danced and sang along.  Camille loved her babies but since morning, she had rewound the tape four times already and she was over it. 

     "Help me."  She and her mom put on their happy faces and gave the jumpy kids one frosted cupcake each.  Then Mother and Daughter took a few for themselves and went to sit in the back of the room behind Camille's desk. 

     Yvette asked her again about the flowers, picking at the pretty red roses in front of her.  "Eric sure does miss you."

     "These aren't from Eric, Ma."

     "Oh."  A look of curiosity asked for more.

     "It's just Joey."

     "Joey?"

     "I swear he drives me insane sometimes."

     Yvette frowned.  "Well, when did you start talking to him again?"

     "Right after Eric mysteriously got the job offer in Cali."

     "Hmph."  Yvette sat back and threw her leg over her knee.  "You think Joey had anything to do with it?"

     "I know he did."

     "Yeah?  You asked him?"

     "I don't need to ask anymore.  I just know and he never denies it." 

     "So—you're back together?"

     "No.  Back together?"  The thought tickled.  "This is just him being him." 

     Camille hadn't claimed Joey since after he graduated high school.  One night he just stopped calling and when someone finally did pick up, it was Mrs. B.  "Oh, he moved to New York, honey.  He'll probably call soon.  I know that boy can't wait to see you."  And when Camille asked his name, Mrs. B kept hush. "I'm sworn to secrecy, baby.  But you'll hear from him soon.  He has it all planned out.  I can't mess that up."