Chapter One

Jayden's POV

I walked out of the airport terminal and was instantly greeted with the humid musk that caused my long sleeve grey t-shirt to instantly grip my skin and darken in color, it wasn't the weather I was expecting, but on second thought, I didn't really know what to expect. I had only been to Michigan once before and the only thing I remember is the frozen pond my uncle took me to skate on near his house.

Beep Beeeep

I scanned the cars rolling by and saw that the car horn was coming from what I could only assume was my uncle Derek's truck...deep green, looking a little beaten down. Derek stepped out of the truck, he looked taller than I remember, he always stood strong and tall, like a modern superhero that I couldn't help but look up to growing up. His arms covered in tattoos made him both relatable and intimidating. 

If I think that, I wonder what my other teammates think of him? 

Before I could get too sucked into thinking about my new team, I saw my aunt practically leap out of the car and run up to me with open arms. 

"Jayden! You're here! How was your flight?" my Aunt Haley exclaimed with a huge smile across her face, her smile could lighten up anyone, even with the humidity making her thick blonde hair stick up in every direction and a light glistening from sweat coating her fare skin, she looked like she was the happiest human in the world. 

"Aunt Haley, hi!" I said grabbing my stuff and throwing it into the back of the truck while wrapping my other arm around her, embracing her in a tight hug.

She was always nice to me and her maternal nature was definitely a comfort; I think she knew I wasn't used to it from my own mother and it made her want to overwhelm me with love any time she had the chance. I appreciated it, even If we never talked about it.

"You look good son, you ready for an undefeated season?" my uncle added, staring at me from the rear-view mirror.

"Yes sir...I want to thank you both again for letting me stay with you"

For living across the country from each other, I see them quite a bit. They would usually visit Texas a few times a year and it was always an excuse for my parents to put on the good parent act, although Haley and Derek never bought it, I think they are more excited than I am to get me away from them. 

"Of course, sweetie, you're family" Haley added while turning and grabbing my hand for reassurance, knocking me out of my trance.

Haley and Derek Danes were the definition of a couple to aspire to. Their three kids were all in college, all playing hockey. I am pretty sure they would have had ten more kids if their wallets and bodies could afford it, but instead they focus on the team and the community.

While driving home, I was immediately mesmerized as we passed the school arena, it was nothing like the arenas in Texas. Banners flew over the building, which also looked like it got a fresh coat of paint.

"Wow" I muttered to myself. 

"Not used to this kind of pride for hockey huh?" Derek chuckled, clearly hearing my murmurs. 

"Not even close" I said, while thinking about the one and only arena in Austin, Texas, that we had to clean ourselves because the athletic budget for our school always seemed to overlook hockey and drain every dollar into football.

Moments later, the car pulled up to a modest looking home placed in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. Much bigger than any place I ever lived, but smaller than most houses he saw when driving into the neighborhood.

-----

"Jayden, you are going to stay in Luke's old room. We took all his posters down, so you can make it completely yours" Haley said as she set fresh pair of sheets on the end of the bed.

"Thanks, Aunt Haley. I think I am going to take a quick run, check out the rink." I added. 

"Do you want me to drive you?" she said as she quickly turned around to face me.

"No, no it's fine, I could use the run after sitting on a plane for hours" I said while shuffling through my hockey bag to grab his skates. "I'll be back soon"

I grabbed my aunts hand pulling her close to give her a quick kiss on the cheek and ran out of the house. 

Ever since I saw the rink driving home from the airport, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I did. With every passing block I ran, I felt my chest heavy with anxiety. 

Although I had plenty of reasons to leave Texas, I couldn't stop thinking about the reasons I should have stayed; my little sister who now had to deal with my parents alone, my friends, my old team...but just as the anxiety was about to completely take over I was at the rinks front doors. I walked in and all of my thoughts disappeared with the rush of cold air that hit my face as soon as I stepped inside. The main lobby of the arena was dark, the only light was from the rinks I could see across the room. Take mental note: come here at 5 pm for alone the ice, I thought.

I made my way across the lobby and walked into one of the two rinks, another burst of cold air hit my face as I walked through the double doors. I blink and keep my eyes closed for an extra second or two trying to take it all in; I'm here. This is my new life. I opened my eyes...and I saw her...

She was brunette, short and I could tell even all the way across the ice, she was gorgeous. I watched her skate around the rink as though she was part of the ice and I fell paralyzed. I continued to stand there in a trance until I realized she now noticed me...a strange man she's definitely never seen before watching her. Well this is a great first impression I thought as I watched the brunette stranger skate towards me. 

***********************************************************************

Author's Notes: 

What do you think of Chapter One? 

Comment & Vote!! I would love to hear what you guys think!