Chapter Two

"Hi! Can I help you?" she said in a perky upbeat voice skating closer and closer

Well that's a positive, she wouldn't be perky if she thought I was a creep.

"I, uh, am new to town and was looking just hoping to skate but I, uh, can wait...or come back or.."

Before I could finish stammering, she cut me off  "...or we could share the ice?"

"yeah, that too" I smiled trying to hide my embarrassment of how big of an ass I just made myself look.

"I'm Jayden" I extended my hand.

"Hileman?"

I locked eyes with her as she grabbed his hand to shake back, "How did you know?"

Was I happy that the hot figure skater knew who I was? Of course. But also, uncomfortable knowing people were clearly already talking about me.

"You're all the talk in the town...our new hockey star...the coach's mystery nephew...the one who will lead our undefeated season to states..." she continued with a hint of sarcasm in her tone. 

"I've been the new kid in a few places and its never been news before," I said realizing we were still holding hands. I quickly let go in hopes she didn't already think I was a complete douche. 

"I would get used to it, the only thing that people talk about in this town is hockey and looking at you..." she checked me out up and down "you will be on the front page of this Sunday's newspaper," she smirked.

Was she flirting with me? I could instantly feel my face getting flushed and felt the need to divert attention off myself immediately.

"You haven't told me your name yet" I said with a somewhat flirty undertone.

I was able to overcompensate my anxiousness with outwardly confidence. I haven't figured out if it's my superpower or my fatal flaw, but you gotta work with what you got.

"Ellie, and I should also tell you that I am your rally girl"

"Rally girl?" I quickly shot back again locking eyes with the beautiful stranger in front of me; this whole conversation made me feel like I was in a bad episode of Black Mirror where I was the only one that didn't get the message.

"Have you ever played hockey before?!" she exclaimed "Basically I'm your cheerleader, I decorate your locker on gameday, help you study so you actually play on game days, basically I'm your guardian angel" she said while hopping around. 

I couldn't help but smile...she was adorable.

"Wow, this has been a very telling introduction to Baysdale" I said shaking my head.

"You have no idea. Now get your skates on and let's see what the golden boy can do" She laughed and turned away. 

Once again, I felt paralyzed, unable to do anything but watch her skate away from me. I finally got my skates on and was on the ice, and while off the ice I felt like idiot, my confidence grows as soon as my skates go on.

We ended up skating around making small talk, mostly about hockey, it was nice to meet someone so down to earth so quickly. I was about to dip my toe into some deeper questions like if she had a boyfriend but before I could, another stranger appeared: older...probably my uncle's age, actually he looked a lot like my uncle, tattoos and all, just little huskier.

"Ellie, time to go" he shouted across the rink. 

My guess is her dad.

"Dad! Come here, this is Jayden"

Dad equals confirmed, but why does everyone know me? This is my worst nightmare; apart from in an actual game, I hated attention. Maybe it was because most of the attention I got growing up was from my alcoholic father, or from teachers who thought I was more trouble than the effort it would take them to teach me, either way, attention only ever made him feel uneasy.

"Jayden Hileman?" the deep voice let out as he got closely to me and Ellie.

"Yes, sir." I replied reaching out for a shake.

"Coach Scott," he replied.

Immediately, my posture stiffened, her dad was my other coach. Of course, he was.

"Focus on defense correct, sir? ... Coach"

Fuck, what should I call him? I thought, hearing a chuckle coming from Ellie behind me.

"Ease up kid," he laughed, "Coach is fine and yes, defense, which means we will be working together a lot, how are you feeling about practice starting?"

"I'm feeling great, coach and I'm sure my uncle has plans for me during these next 6 weeks before official practice."

"Good. Why don't we plan to meet before practice so I can see what shape you are in?"

"Yes sir, we can even do tomorrow if you'd like?" I said a little too eagerly as another chuckle came from Ellie behind me.

"Well this is really exciting, but dad we should go before mom throws a fit" Ellie said while walking past me.

Her dad is the coach, which means she is clearly off limits, but why can't I stop watching her walk away from me?