Chapter Five

"El, you're here" Stephen says not taking his eyes off me

I don't say anything as I continue to wipe beer off of my arms avoiding eye contact at all costs. Ugh, where are the guys when I need them. I began scanning the beach in hopes that I will miraculously lock eyes with one of them so they can save me from this situation.

"El...Ellie....El!" I hear Stephen saying, breaking me out of my trance, "who are you looking for?" he continues, following my deyes.

"Uh, no one, but I gotta go," I say as I quickly try and get past him, but not before he grips my arm to keep me in place. I instinctively jump back, shooting daggers at him but his grip stays locked on my bicep. 

"We need to talk, Ellie... please"

"There's nothing to talk about, we're done, you're a piece of shit and go find your...." I stop myself before I can finish, no need to send him off to another girl to torture, even if she is a terrible person herself.

"I miss you" he says, almost seeming sincere and if it weren't for that night, I would have probably believed him and jumped back into his arms like I did a million times before. 

"I don't." I snap back, locking eyes with him so he knows I am serious. 

As his hand grips tighter, I wince in pain and just like clockwork, Carrigan, Jayden and the rest of the boys show up in my line of vision behind Stephen.

"Problem, Stephen?" Carrigan says stepping closer to me. I lock eyes with Jayden as he looks utterly confused at the situation standing before him, but I notice his fists are clenched tightly at his sides like he is ready to pounce at the drop of a hat. I wonder what the guys told him.

Stephen's eyes don't leave me, "Just talking to my girlfriend, Car, no need to act tough,"

"One – She's not your girlfriend, two – I suggest you let go of her arm right now before I really start to cause a scene"

'Guys, it's fine" I say finally wiggling out of Stephen's grip "Let's go. And Stephen, please leave me alone." I continue before walking off, feeling the guys trail behind me.

I finally make it to the other keg on the beach and fill a cup up and chugging it, I begin to fill my second cup and see the guys chuckling at me. 

"That situation gives me the right to be the drunk girl and you guys have to make sure I get home without my dad seeing" I say chugging my second one and begin filling a third.

"Okay, okay, El...but we can't do that if your puking so just take it a little slower," Tyler says pulling the cup out of my hand and drinking it himself.

"Whatever," I giggle.

Jayden's POV

I was standing with the guys that Ellie introduced me to on the team while she went to go get a drink, all the guys seemed cool and based on the conversation I think we would make great teammates. They all mentioned they were really close  to Ellie and considered her a little sister which caused a weird sense a relief to wash over me that's quickly forgotten when I hear Tyler. 

"Carr – I see Ellie and she's with Stephen"

I watch Carrigan's eye's snap to Ellie, "let's go." He says and everyone begins to follow. What is going on? Do we not like this guy? Does Ellie not like this guy?

As we get closer to Ellie, I see the guy I presume to be Stephen's hand gripped around Ellie's arm and my fists instinctively clench. Do not get into a fight on your first night out Jay, you will be sent back. I keep saying in my head forcing myself to stay silent.

"Problem, Stephen?" Carrigan says stepping closer to Stephen as I lock eyes with Ellie, her expression blank and seeming like she is trying to read mine.

"Just talking to my girlfriend, Car, no need to act tough,"

I wince when he says girlfriend but hide it quickly, still examining his hand gripping her tighter. I immediately take a small step forward but stop myself.

"One – She's not your girlfriend, two – I suggest you let go of her arm right now before I really start to cause a scene" Car continues. Clearly, this guy is a dick and none of the guys seem to like him.

'Guys, it's fine" Ellie says wiggling out of Stephen's grip "Let's go. And Stephen, please leave me alone." She continues as she brushes past me. I shoot one more stare to Stephen before following Ellie.