Bad Dreams

(Image not mine)

---

Y/N'S POV

"All right, girls. Are you ready for bed?" I opened the door to Elaine and Gael's room, leaning against the wall for support as the ship tossed around.

"Almost!" Elaine sped across the room to grab her hairbrush and quickly run it through her hair, a habit she picked up from me.

I picked up my nightgown and stepped over the ledge into their room. The candle I was holding gave off enough light that I could blow out the lanterns in the room and still see well. The bedroom was pretty spacious for a ship and held two beds. One was larger and served as the two girls' bed, and the other was smaller and served as Lucy's bed.

The two girls bounced excitedly onto their shared bed and fussed about for a moment, trying to get situated. It was the happiest I had seen Elaine with someone her age in a long time. Here, she could be herself and not have to worry about our biggest secrets as everyone already knew them. It was nice.

"Miss Y/n?" Gael poked her head out from under the comforter to look at me as I sat on the stool next to their bed. "Is it true that you knew High King Peter? And Queen Susan?"

I nodded with a smile, "I know them, yes,"

"What were they like?"

I thought for a moment, "Like nothing Narnia had ever seen before. They changed the world."

"Why can't they come back, Mum?" Elaine furrowed her brows. As smart as she was, she still didn't understand the beliefs Aslan holds.

"I believe it is because they didn't believe in magic anymore."

"Why not? You're magic."

"Yes, but magic isn't just magical powers. It governs everything in this land and quite possibly the next. It's like air," I tried to relate it to something they would understand. "It's everywhere in everything, but we can't see it. It's the reason we can sail, it's the reason birds can fly, it's the reason we can live. Magic is the same."

"If it's so normal, why don't they believe it exists?" Gael yawned.

"I don't know, but it's all right. They made their choice and we can make ours."

This satisfied them. The two girls burrowed their faces into the covers and yawned their goodnights. I was surprised they could sleep in this storm. After kissing Elain's forehead and brushing a bit of hair out Gael's face, I picked up my candle and left the room, closing the door behind me. As soon as I stepped out into the cramped corridor, I could hear the harsh rain hitting the deck around the corner.

This storm has lasted for days and the entire crew was exhausted. Though you had to hand it to them, they were the most stubborn crew I had ever met. They weren't about to give up fighting back the massive waves in the cold night. They would keep working until we reached our destination, no matter how tired they were. I thought it was utterly foolish.

Coriakin had pointed us in the right direction, telling us to follow a blue star to the six lords. There has been no blue star for days. The dark storm clouds blocked any stars from our sight. This meant that we were stuck in the middle of the sea, with very little food, and with no clue where to go. It was my ideal vacation.

These thoughts ran through my head as I moved down the corridor towards the room I shared with Ed. Most people slept in hammocks in the main barracks, but we slept in our own small room while the other three girls all shared another room. As I opened the door to our room, a brown boot came flying at my head.