Aslan's Country

(Image not mine)

EUSTACE'S POV

Suddenly wide awake, I shot up off the leaf-covered ground, frantically feeling my clothes for any scales. There were none. There was also no sword embedded in my side. Forgetting about my returned form, I scrambled up to look for the blade.

Only a couple of feet away, the lord's sword lay atop a pile of leaves. My bare feet sliding on the stone and leaves, I ran to pick it up. It was not nearly as light as it used to be, but as Reep said, I was a fierce dragon built of pure muscle back then. Now I was my scrawny little self again. I never felt sad about that before.

Once the sword was steady in my hands, I took in my surroundings. For a moment, I thought I was on a completely new island again before I spotted the ruins on a cliff in the distance. The far distance. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I would much rather be a flying dragon right now.

Sighing, I started to job in the direction of the ruins, recalling the star woman's story about the swords on the table. I needed to get this sword there and then maybe my cousins and my friends would be alright.

Y/N'S POV

"Oh, that is disgusting!"

The serpent was literally unraveling itself and revealing centipede-like legs under its skin. I could see why these were Edmund's nightmares, they were horrifying. Edmund bounced on the balls of his feet before darting off, "We need to get it closer!"

"Are you mad?!"

"Ready the harpoons!" Caspian ordered anyway.

"You're both mad," I decided.

"Y/n, we need you to haul it close to the ship."

I threw my hands up, "Right, let's do this then."

The snake made a point to do its best ripping off the mast which gave me time to prepare myself. Looking down at the pipes in my hand, I wondered if I needed them anymore. They are meant to be training wheels anyway.

It was probably a stupid decision but I tossed to pipes randomly to my right before anchoring my feet onto the deck. The sailors fussed around the deck, readying the harpoons as Caspian ordered. I did my best to block them out, concentrating on the sea-plants below me.

"Ready?" Caspian screamed as the men held the spears over their heads. "Now!"

At the same moment that the crew flung the harpoons, I raised my hands, bringing with them a wave of kelp that tangled around the centipede-snake. It screamed as the spears punctured its skin and writhed in pain as the sailors pulled on the ropes.

"Pull its head down!" Caspian ordered.

While the sailors tugged on the ropes, I willed the plants around the monster to come towards us. There was nothing the monster could do but eat away at the plants, which I replaced quickly enough. Still, it put up a good fight, and the strain of controlling that many plants was beginning to tire me.

EUSTACE'S POV

Heaving for air, I finally made it to the base of the ruins, not bothering to stop and rest before barreling into the dining pavilion. The six swords were where we had last left them, vibrating and glowing blue at the end of the table.

I began to wonder if the swords might come alive and attack me once I put the last sword down. Or maybe they would explode and kill us all. Or maybe it was all fake and they were just swords. That wouldn't be unexpected in this strange place.

Shaking my head, I reached to place the sword down. A strong gust of green wind pushed me back and onto the ground, trying to wrestle the sword from my hands. I grunted, swinging at the green mist but hitting nothing. Standing up, I tried to set the sword onto the table but it just pulled me back again.