Stars

(Image not mine)

Y/N'S POV

"How did this happen?" I ran a hand across the dragon's- Eustace's- scaly hide. The poor boy must be scared to death.

"He must've been tempted by the treasure," Edmund guessed.

"Well, anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted." Caspian chuckled before seeing the hard glare that settled on the dragon's face. "Anyone from here."

"Don't worry Eustace," I pat his enormous shoulder, "We'll find a way to fix this."

He only huffed, none too keen to remain in this form. I rather enjoyed it. It reminded me of our old friend Vara, a dragon made of rock that lived during our Golden Age. We hadn't seen her since and I doubted she would still be alive now, but I didn't know the average dragon's life expectancy so I couldn't be sure. Eustace was not made of rock though, he was like a dragon straight out of a fairy tale.

He dragged his massive arm against the ground repeatedly, trying to remove a huge gold bracelet. It only dug into his arm more, making red lines. "Here, let me get that."

At first, he backed away. I shushed him impatiently and kept reaching for the bracelet, pulling it off quickly when I got a firm grasp on it. He roared and waved his arm around in pain. I cringed but with a smile, thinking he was being a bit of a baby.

"Is there any way to change him back?" Elaine's eyes were full of sympathy for her cousin.

"Not that I know of," Caspian turned to Drinian expectantly but the captain only shrugged.

"Aunt Alberta will not be pleased," Lucy groaned.

Eustace huffed, stomping the ground angrily. Reepicheep awkward waddled up to him, wringing his tiny paws. "Sorry about the hand, old boy." Reep had stabbed his tiny sword in Eustace's hand earlier. "I can be a little overzealous at times."

The dragon only let out a low whine, his eyes fixed on the ground. A sailor called out from the longboats, "The boats are ready, sire."

"We can't leave him alone," Lucy turned to the others.

"Well, we can't bring him on board, Your Majesty." Drinian eyed the huge dragon. It would no doubt collapse the deck.

"Why don't we just camp here for the night?" I asked, sitting on the ground to illustrate my point.

Caspian nodded, "Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here till morning and work out what to do."

"But you've no provisions and no means of staying warm, Your Majesty." Gael's father protested.

Seeing his hesitation, Eustace quickly blew a column of fire onto a large stick that lay in the center of us all. Gael shrieked in fright and hid behind Elaine who didn't seem bothered at all.

"You were saying?" Reep smirked.

We all chuckled and Eustace smacked his lips as if the taste of fire was not that enjoyable. Gael's father smiled and joined the other soldiers on the boat before setting off towards the ship. The young girls immediately got to work setting up their blankets as if this was all one big sleepover for them. It was a bit relieving, I could focus on the dangerous things while they entertained each other.

"Lucy, come help me catch some fish for dinner." I stood up and grabbed the girl's hand. "You've always been better at it."

"That's because you have incredibly poor reflexes," she grinned.

I was glad it wasn't awkward between us after the Edmund and Caspian fiasco. She was still the girl I grew up with. Although, I felt like there was a lot I didn't know about her after these few years apart. She was definitely more grown-up and I caught her staring at a couple of the village boys at our last stop. She had been fascinated by the idea of loving someone before, but not like this. Now she was a bit more desperate.