Eustace

(Image not mine)

LUCY'S POV

The next day, the clouds had finally parted and we were able to see a small island nearby. It wasn't the most beautiful island by far, but it was the only one we had. So we set off in the longboats to paddle ashore. Everyone was wary after last night, it seemed most of the crew had nightmares too.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege," Reepicheep called from the front of the longboat next to ours. "There's no sign of anything living."

"Right, well once we get ashore, take your men and the young ones to search for food and water," Caspian called back as he rowed with Y/n and Edmund. "The four of us will look for clues."

"Hang on, you mean the five of us."

Everyone looked back to look at Eustace skeptically. He sighed, "Come one, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that," said Reep.

Eustace crossed his arms and turned away. "Big ears," he muttered.

"I heard that too,"

We chuckled, no longer worried about hurting Eustace's feelings. He could use a wake-up call. He didn't have to suffer in embarrassment for long as the longboats scraped against the shore. We all clambered out of the boat, the crew and the two little girls staying behind to unload the things in the boats. Eustace was told to stay with them, much to his annoyance.

Caspian led the way up the sandy hill with the three of us trailing behind him. Once we reached the top, Caspian ran forward, weaving through the pointed rocks. "Look! We're not the first ones on this island."

Y/n moved to look past him, "A rope?"

"The lords?" Edmund guessed.

"Could be," Caspian muttered, stepping in front of the rope that trailed down into a cavern.

He picked up a rock and dropped it in the hole. My eyes fixed on a large hole at the bottom where golden light shone from. "What do you think is down there?"

"Let's find out," Y/n jumped straight down into the hole, not bothering to use the rope. The vines she summoned cushioned her fall but Edmund still sucked in a quick breath.

"That idiot," he shook his head with a grin. "One of these days she's going to get seriously hurt."

I chuckled and followed him down the rope, landing with a crunch on the dry rocks. It was significantly cooler in the cave, most likely from the small lake inside of it. Stalagmites and stalactites littered the cave, creating a confusing maze of rocks. Y/n stood amongst them, inspecting the strange gold-colored dirt.

"What's that?"

We turned to see Caspian and Edmund peering into the lake. As I stepped closer, I was able to see what they were talking about.

"I don't know," Edmund shrugged, "It looks like some sort of statue."

Y/n held her hand out towards the water, willing a thin vine to slowly dip into the water towards the statue of the man. I watched in a mixture of fascination and horror as the vine turned to gold where it touched the water. Y/n pulled her hand and the vine back, watching in confusion as the gold spread. Just as it covered most of the vine, Y/n dropped her hand and stepped back quickly, letting the vine fall into the water. She looked at the three of us in shock, "I couldn't control it anymore. The gold... froze it."

Caspian turned to the statue of the man bent over in the water, "He must've fallen in."

"Poor man," I mumbled.