i can tell that we are gonna be friends

"get in! get in! get in!" erin yells from her truck as nick rushes over towards her. it's early, 8 am, and nick is exhausted. he has redbull in his hand. three actually, one for each of them.

"chill bro, damn." nick laughs as he enters erins truck, handing the two girls their cans of redbull.

"we got shit to do!" riley yells, glancing back at nick to make sure his seatbelt is on before yelling at erin to floor it.

they get food first, stopping at an ihop that is surprisingly open. they get their food to go and eat it in the truckbed in the parking lot.

they go to a surprisingly empty park and play tag while technically taking a hike, but nobody notices how tired they are until the end.

at one point, riley almost face first into a small pond, but erin saves her the second before she ruins her clothes and her dignity. though, as nick mentions, it would've made a funny story to tell.

they play cards against humanity in the truck bed, parked in an empty heb parking lot. riley laughs so hard she cries, which in turn makes nick and erin almost cry from laughter as well.

they go back to riley's apartment and almost burn it down trying to make brownies which end up burnt, so they head to the store and accidentally buy way too many toys. nine of them care though, they're all literally children that are legally adults, and tonight really shows it.

they head to the beach once their done cooking their brownies, bring the toys along with them (water guns, they bought water guns.)

the beach is almost empty, and it's starting to get dark. the water is cool, but as the night makes the temperature drop, they begin to shiver.

riley tries to drown nick multiple times, but he's much stronger than her. he then tries to drown her, but erin pulls them apart. they gang up on nick eventually, figuring that'll be much easier than just trying by themselves.

they watch the sunset while eating brownies, a broken sand castle next to them as they sit in the sand in saltwater soaked clothes.

they sit in a circle and talk for a while, mostly about life, but also about anything that comes to their minds.

they try not go get too sad, but they do say how thankful they are for each other and all of them almost cry. some do a little (okay they all do a little) but they don't let the others see, and pretend like everything is fine.

when the stars comes up, they sit side by side, watching them in silence. riley puts on 'we're going to be friends' because it's the first song that comes to mind.

as the song plays, nick sighs, glancing over at riley and erin.

the past few months run through his mind. how had they gone by so fast? it feels like just yesterday he was being bold in an heb and getting her number. and now here they were, heading off their separate ways for god knows how long.

riley smiles at him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and pulling him into her side. he rests his head on her shoulder and almost laughs. he feels so much like a kid next to her, and not just because she's taller than him.

she truly is like an older sister. or a mom. erin is too, even though they barely know each other.

erin is heading back up to colorado in a few days, back to her moms house.

it's a bittersweet night, and nick knows it's gonna be an even more bittersweet morning when he and erin drop riley off at the, most likely, empty airport.

riley pulls erin into her other shoulder, her right arm wrapping around her waist.

"riley?" nick asks softly, voice shaky and small.

"no," riley responds simply, "no sadness until tomorrow, ok? lets enjoy this, i don't know when i'll see either of you again."

nick nods, tears brimming at his eyes.

"i love you, both of you." erin says.

riley smiles, looking up to stop her tears from falling, "i love both of you too."

"me too," nick smiles softly, "i've loved these past few months, too."

after a hum of agreement from both of them, the entire party goes silent.

the moon shines brightly down on them, reflecting across the waves as they splash, threatening the groups shoes. but none of them care, because it's their last night together for a long time, and they know it.

and that night, they wish the moon would shine forever.

---- --- -- --- ----

so first of all this happened

WHCIH IS FUCKING AWESOME WTH

thank you all. this is the 2nd story i've ever written on here to get over a thousand reads, and it's the 1st one i'm actually proud of and think is somewhat ok. (the other one i wrote when i was like 10...it's terrible)

but this is actually awesome so thank you all very much, i'm glad this story is enjoyable. though i am more proud that we are #69 in minecraftyoutubers and i think we all know why ;)

also nick and riley 🥺 i love them