CHAPTER~1 (THE INTERVIEW-One step closer)

Light fills the room, coaxing me from deep sleep to wakefulness. I stretch out and open my eyes . It's a beautiful May morning, London at my feet. Wow, what a view. I'm really greatfull to Mike for lending me this beautiful apartment at such a low price, i know he is doing me favor as my brother's best friend. I check my table clock, 'oh my god, it's already 8:30. The interview's at 9:30 am.' Quickly, I head for a bath, after a quick shower, I scowl with frustration at my self in the mirror. Damn my hair, it just won't behave, and damn i m too late for the interview, Susan is gonna kill me.
'Susan is a close family friend and owner of The Panache event management company. After my graduation it wasn't hard to decide where i want to be.'
I attempt once more to bring my hair under control with the brush. I roll my eyes in exasperation and gaze at the pale, brown-haired girl with dark brown eyes too big for her face staring back at me and give up. My only option is to restrain my wayward hair in a ponytail and hope that i look semi-presentable. After a last glance at the mirror i head to the living room grabbed an apple and left the apartment, quickly i set the GPS '32 Curzon Street'.
The roads are clear and drive was short, I quickly parked my car. As expected the office building is huge, all covered glass and steel with 'The Panache' written discreetly in steel over the glass front door. It's 9:25am when I arrive, greatly relieved that I'm not late, as I walk into the enormous and frankly intimidating-glass, steel, and white sandstone lobby. Behind the solid sandstone desk, a very attractive, groomed, young women smiles at me.
" I am Sana Khanna, i am here to see Mrs Susan Patel".
"Excuse me for a moment, Miss Khanna". She arches her eyebrow as i stand self-consciously before her.
I'm getting nervous, excited, i don't know what, 'this is it finally, all this years I was waiting for this moment, this is where I want to be, first step towards achieving my dreams'.
"Please sign in here, Miss Khanna. You'll want the last elevator on the right, tenth floor". She smiles kindly at me, as I sign in. Thanking her, I walk over the bank of elevators.
The elevator whisks me at terminal velocity to the tenth floor. The doors slide open, and I'm in another large lobby. I'm confronted by a young blonde women, who rises to greet me.
"Miss Khanna can you wait here, please? Mrs Patel will see you in five minutes." She points to a sitting area of white leather chairs.
Behind the leather chairs is a spacious glass-walled meeting room with an equally spacious dark wood table with atleast twenty matching chairs around it. Beyond that, there is a floor-to-ceiling window with a amazing view. It's a stunning vista, and I'm momentarily paralyzed by the view. Wow.
I sit down, and go through my file which contains my graduation certificate from Bristol University, co-curricular activities certificates and the internship certificate that i did during my graduation year.
"Mrs Patel will see you now, Miss Khanna. Do go through," Blonde says. I stand shakily trying to supress my nerves. Gathering up my file, i make my way to the partially open door.
"You don't need to knock- just go in" she smiles kindly.
I push open the door and there she is lost in the file, she looks elegant in sharp charcoal suit jacket and white shirt. Her office is way too big for just one person. In front of a floor-to-ceiling windows. She looks at me her bright brown eyes regards me graciously. She comes to me and wraps me in her arms, I'm overwhelmed by her affection. Suddenly after so many days, here i feel home.
"Oh I'm sorry It's just I've seen you after so long, I missed you so much, and I'm glad you chose my company" she says, releasing me.
"I missed you too and thank you for accepting me, it really means alot" I murmur.
"Okay now come sit, what will you have?" She asks and waves me towards an L-shaped white leather couch.
"A glass of water. Thank you," I reply.
She presses a button kept on the table and after a few seconds blonde knocks the door.
"Kim, please fetch Sana a glass of water" she orders.
Kim returns with a glass of iced water.
"Here you go, Miss Khanna"
"Thank you"
Kim marches out of the room, her heels clicking and echoing on the sandstone floor.
"So tell me why you want to take this job? you can start your own buisness as you have skills. You have done internship" She asks, going through my documents.
"Because i need money to open a business and i want to learn all your tricks" I reply honestly.
"Your dad will be furious if he hears about the money" she chuckles.
"Yaah and i don't know why he doesn't understand I'm not some kind of heir to his throne i can do everything by myself" I complain.
"I won't blame him, he cares about you and always wants the best for you" She says.
"But I don't see anything good in this stopping me from pursuing my dreams" I reply.
"Your parents just wants to help you, they are scared after what happened four years ago, your adoption is just a paperwork, it will change nothing and after that fight u just vanished for a year no calls nothing just a text evey month that you are fine, so now they don't want to lose you, again" she says.
Flash from the past comes in my mind 'dad what is this, it says i m not your child you adopted me, is this true?Say something, please, please just say it. Why is everyone silent?'
"Sana" Susan interrupts my thought.
"Yup", chuckles, "I won't disappear again" i reply.
"So i was saying you will work in my team and enjoy the weekend and start from monday, do you've any problem?" She asks.
"No, monday sounds great", i reply.
"My HR will ring you about the details and I would've really appreciated if you took my offer for living in with me, just know you're always welcome in my house", She says.
"I know and thank you", I murmur.
"It's really nice to see you after so many years", she says softly. I blink up at her as I say good-bye.
I feel unsettled as I make my way to my car, though i m not sure why. I think the interview went well and I have a job now here in London, so happy, I still can't believe this.
        Just as I enter my apartment my cell vibrates. Keeping the key on the dinning table I check my cell the name Princess flashes on the cell, quickly I swipe up.
"Hey, Princess sup?"
"For hevean's sake Sana my name is Ahana stop calling me that." She curses which makes me laugh, this was our usual way to answer call.
"You know I will never stop calling you princess and this is the truth you are a princess" I replied and I can imagine her rolling her eyes at me.
"Ahh whatever, well I'm on airport, I have my flight in an hour and tomorrow morning I will be in London." She says.
"Oh that's great, thank god you are coming I thought I'll be all alone this weekend curled up in my bed watching some sh*tty reality show."
"And one more thing" she says.
"My sister is getting married" she says which makes me jump.
"What Kia is getting married, when, with whom?" I asked
"After two month, meet me and I will give you all the information and yes remember you have to come a month before the wedding, or u know she will never see your face again" She said.
"Umm Ahana, I don't know if that will be possible, I just gave an interview at The Panache"
"Oh, so you have a job congratulations and don't worry I will talk to Susan she will give you a month leave" she says.
"I don't have a job yet I just gave a interview she can change her mind, I'm not confirmed till I get a call from her HR team, I don't know about the leave I know if I ask her for the leave she will never say no but I don't want to ask her everything will be new I don't want to take any advantage of my family name, she has done enough for me" I replied honestly.
"Ok we will talk about this when we meet my flight will land at ten in the morning and I will meet you in the evening"
"Nope I"ll pick you up and you are staying with me" I ordered.
"There is no need the driver will be there" she said
"Listen I'm not asking you, that's an order"
"Ok you can pick me up but I have to be a hotel we have a family gathering there" she said.
"Then it's okay"
"Okay, now I have to go will see you in the morning bye"
"Bye, see ya"I said and hung up.

---------------------------------------------------

Where did Sana vanish for a year? What will happen in the weekend? To know read the next chapter.