Chapter 5

***And another daily update. This book is on a roll LOL I might make it a few more than ten chapters, depending on how much time it takes to get the plot out. I don't want it to be rushed like "Compatible" ;)

And yes, I used this song. It was bound to make an appearance at some point ;)

Hope you enjoy this one!***

***(Cole's POV)***

I look up at Seliel from my menu. "So...what are you thinking about ordering?"

She bites her lip. "Nothing really appeals to me."

"Is this about me paying? Because believe me, I can take it. I work a little over the summer. Plus, Jay lost to me in poker last week and had to fork over his junk food funds."

"Poker?" Sel asks.

"Yeah. Nya – I have a feeling you two would get along well – she taught Jay and Lloyd how to play poker with candy, and once I figured out what they were doing, I joined in. She creamed us." I shake my head. "That girl."

"Sounds like I could give her a run for her money."

"Maybe," I chuckle. "But the point is, I have cash. You can get whatever you want, Seliel. Otherwise, I'm ordering for you."

"I won't eat it."

"Yes, you will," I grin. "You've never been a picky eater."

"Things change," she says vaguely.

***Music Cue***

I raise an eyebrow. "You know, I don't like awkward topics, but is this about the weight thing that I mentioned last night?"

"No." She shakes her head. "I just don't like unhealthy food."

"Who said you had to order unhealthy?"

She smiles, her eyes looking at the table. "So...what's your favorite color?"

I blink. "Huh?"

"Your favorite color, Cole."

"Oh. Um...black?"

She chuckles. "Should've guessed. You wear it all the time."

"Yeah. Why did you ask?"

"No reason."

"Okay?" I feel like she's distracting me here. But then, she probably is.

The waiter approaches, and I put in my order – a healthy stack of pancakes, plus two creamy biscuits. Seliel looks like she's having trouble ordering, so I go ahead and choose for her anyway.

Her eyes shoot fire at me as the waiter leaves. "I could've done it," she huffs.

I blanch. I was not expecting this kind of reaction. "Um...yeah, but you weren't sure, so I thought I'd help."

"Well, thanks, but no thanks."

"You and Nya really do have a lot in common," I muse.

"That probably means we're going to hate each other." She examines her fingernails.

I smile. "I think Nya cares a little less about her appearance than you, though. You, like...actually try with your hair and stuff."

She shrugs. "My best friend who lives back in Nom – Eve – she lets me use her hair dye when I visit. She's also the one I got all my makeup from on my birthday last year. I try to ration myself."

"You do a good job with it, though." I push the mug of hot chocolate I earlier ordered toward her, poising her fingers around the warm cup. "Do you want some?"