Chapter 9

***Okay, new longest chapter by about 100 words LOL And three things:

1. The song for this chapter is "Amazing Grace". I know, that's not a thing in Ninjago, but Sel is reminiscing about her mother's funeral, and it fit so stinkin' well...

2. In this AU, it's not common knowledge that there's such thing as a realm crystal. Skylor knows ("At Second Sight" for reference) and the ninja team knows, but the average person does NOT.

3. If you read Seliel's POV from last chapter, you're probably going to ask yourself what's going on in Cole's POV. Let's just say that something in that POV is just a red herring and isn't actually the truth. You'll understand better when you read it in context ;)***

***(Cole's POV)***

"All right," Lloyd says, taking charge. "We were scheduled to use Zane's new training equipment for practice today, but Nya and Kai aren't here, so...what do you guys want to do before we break off and try to find Nya?"

I look around. "Nya and Kai aren't the only ones gone. Let me go get Jay." I sigh, shaking my head. He's not in good shape.

I make my way to the bunkroom. Seliel has to work today, so I won't be seeing her until tonight. I don't like the idea of her being on her feet for ten hours if her leg's injured, but nothing I was going to say could stop her.

This evening, we're supposed to meet up so I can help set her up with Nya's doctor. And we're going to talk more about her staying at the monastery – a prospect that's seeming better and better as I learn more about her past. She wouldn't give me a direct answer last night about whether her father was the cause of her leg injury, and I'm more than a little concerned.

"Jay?" I call, finally reaching the bunkroom.

"Go away," he mumbles, face buried in his pillow.

"No. We're all up for sunrise exercise and training. Once we're done, we're going to split up and search for Nya." I sit beside him, patting his back. "You know, you could make that job a lot easier if you just told us where she was."

"No. She needs to know she can trust me!" He releases a heavy sigh.

"Jay," I say softly, "we all know you're going to go visit her today. We could just follow you, you know."

He flips over, revealing red-rimmed, sorrowful eyes. "Cole, why do I have to lose everything good in my life? My mom, the love of my life...one of my closest friends, if you count Lloyd." He laughs bitterly. "But he made his choice."

I exhale. "I don't know, Jay. Do you want to talk about it? And don't worry – this is about you, not finding Nya." Maybe if he finally opens up, I can persuade him to get counseling.

"Nya told me when she first wanted to run away that she felt like gravel – you know, like she was stuck under a giant rock that totally weighed down her soul."

"Is she depressed, too? I mean, I know she needs to work out some problems in her head, but she's never seemed like..."

"She's good at compartmentalizing her feelings, Cole. She's sad, but unlike me...she's not depressed." He sniffles. "Why am I so emotional? I used to think it made me human, but now...it just makes me weak. I'm not like you guys."

"Aww, Jay, you're not weak."

"Am, too."

I think for a moment. What's the best way to let Jay know he's just as strong as the rest of us? How can I appeal to him best?

"You know," I muse, "I think your emotions are one of the first things Nya found attractive about you. You're so good at relating to her when she's angry or upset, and you know how to have fun, which helps her let go."