Chapter 8

***Depending on your time zone, this can be considered a double update LOL

This book is nearing its climax. It'll probably be around twelve chapters and an epilogue. Unlike "Compatible", this one doesn't have an outline - all the material comes pretty naturally, so I don't need one.

And get ready for some serious Coliel. FINALLY.***

***(Cole's POV)***

"You couldn't walk?" I frown. "What happened?"

"I fell," she says vaguely.

"How bad was it?"

"I don't honestly know. It's still healing – "

"Wait." I stop her with a hand on her arm. "Seliel, you don't know how bad your injuries were? Didn't you go to the doctor or something?"

"No." Her eyes harden. "My father wouldn't let me."

"He wouldn't let you?! I thought you said he wasn't around!" I shake my head. "Wait – did this have something to do with him? Your injuries, I mean."

"Maybe." She looks away. "It's not important. I'm mostly healed now."

"Mostly?"

"Yes, Cole. So leave it alone, okay?"

"No." I shake my head. "I try to be respectful of people's wishes and stuff, but this is where I put my foot down. You need to go to the doctor."

"I don't have a regular doctor. When I went to get my shots for school, I just stopped by the clinic in Nom."

"Fine, then I'll set you up with one."

"I don't have money, Cole." She rolls her eyes.

"I do, and so does the team."

***Music Cue***

"Look, why do you all even care, Cole? It's nice – the idea of me training with you guys and such – but it's just not realistic. Neither is me living with you in the monastery. And now you all are supposed to pay my doctor's expenses out of pocket?" She shakes her head. "Just let me go."

"No, Seliel." I frame her face with my hands. "Whether you feel it or not, I've always had something with you – a connection. And I can't let you go. I've never been able to. And even if that connection somehow faded, Sel, I'd still be there for you. My team has a big heart – we'd find a way to meet your needs, no matter the cost to us."

Her eyes flutter closed, and her hand rises to touch mine where it rests on her cheek. "You...feel a connection? With me?"

"Yes, Seliel," I swallow. "And it hurts me so bad that there's something wrong with you – not only with your mind, but with your body, too."

She smiles ruefully. "Cole, you're such a big brother to everyone."

"Yes, but not to you." I lean forward, pressing my forehead against hers. "You're more than just a little sister to me, Sel. You heard Skylor today say that I liked you – that's true. And I don't want to push you into anything, given that things aren't great for you right now. I just want you to know that I'll be here for you, and that I like you as more than just a friend, in case you ever – "

She wraps her hands around my neck and leans up to touch her lips to mine, and my eyes widen. But if she really wants to trust me with this part of herself, I won't feel bad for accepting it.

My hands find their way from her face to the back of her head, my eyes drifting closed. I lean down, angling her head gently. My lips dance over hers, and all the worries and stresses of my life – all the cares I have as the team's rock – slowly fade. All I can think of is my connection with Seliel.