Blackmail

JACK

I was working at my desk and enjoying the time away from the troubles. For some reason I wuite enjoy being a cop. I guess this is what happens when you get too deep in undercover work. It starts to change you.

My phone starts to ring so I answer it. I hope Ryder has a good reason for calling me. "Hello?"

"Jack! Hey buddy! So Nick got Diana and everyone else back!" He yells through the phone in an excited tone.

"Do you have my son and Krysti?" I ask, not really caring about anyone else.

"Uh, okay, maybe not everyone. We've got little Lucas but it turns out Krysti has been held hostage. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, because Vanessa told me that she's having the time of her li-" I hang up on him and growl. I shouldn't have let Faith go. I loved her. At least I think I loved her.

"Milligan! Chief wants to see you!" I groan.

I get up and enter the chief's office, shutting the door behind me. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Don't bother with formalities, Jack. We both know you aren't a standard citizen or cop." He replied bitterly.

"Fine. What do you want?" I ask, frowning.

"Are there any updates on finding my daughter? I would very much like to see my children." He says, standing up, placing his badge on the desk and taking hold of his gun.

"I don't control Nicholas. I don't even have access to the basement because I'm known to be... a bit different when it comes to prisoners. I just got a call saying he has Diana. They should be on their way back to the States." I whisper, eyeing his gun.

"That's wonderful news. I can see my grandchild!" He exclaims patting me on the back, hard.

"With all due respect, she isn't technically your daughter. Now before you start threatening me, I'd like to point out that when you first found her. You upheld the law and gave her an unfair trial. You made sure she didn't go to jail or got to a psychiatric hospital." I smirk. He faulters in his step and cringes.

"Heh, blackmail. How old fashioned. Fine, just let me know when they return. I would like to get my son back as soon as possible." He grumbles wslking back to his desk and slumping in his chair.

He looks so fragile and sick. As a doctor i have an urge to help him. "Are you well? You look pale."

"What are you, my wife? Get out." He says raising his voice.

"No, I'm a doctor. I-"

"GET OUT!" He shouts. I quickly leave the room and glare at the other cops staring at me as I leave. Something is seriously wrong with him. I'm tempted to find his recent medical records.

NICHOLAS

"Nick. Nick! Please listen to me!" Vanessa pleads clinging to my arm. I pull my arm from her grasp and continue to walk away.

"Why should I listen to you? You never listen to me! I gave you direct instructions to stay in your room! Take care of my niece and nephew! What do you do?! You leave! Not just the mansion, but the fucking country!" I roar, causing her to stumble back with tears in her eyes.

"I left because I wanted to find Diana... I couldn't live without her and Al. I'm sorry!" She whimpers. I sigh and clench my fists because I felt the same way.

"Neither could I. That still doesn't give you an excuse for leaving. I was afraid I was going to lose you too." I whisper hugging her and uncaping a syringe full of a sedative.