16

"All my life, I have been told to smile, stay quiet, look pretty, not to stand out from the crowd. And you know where that got me? Trapped in a cult, burying my wife, nearly losing my son Oz. I was only able to break free because I was finally unafraid to separate from the pack. Well, now that I've escaped a cult, I'm running for Senate to help you escape yours. It's time we band together to bring down all cults... The Democratic party, the Republican party, the entire two-party system. I know what it looks like when a powerful few control the many. On Capitol Hill, they may not want to listen to a woman who will take a sledgehammer to their antiquated system of oppression, but with your support, they're not gonna have a choice.
I'm Ally Mayfair-Richards,
and I approve this message."

Emily sat in a swivel chair next to Ally, with Jude sitting in her arms quietly.

"The focus group liked the ad... they like you. You scored high marks across all the favorability categories, and there's not a person in this country that doesn't know your name and all the shit you've been through." Beverly explained.

"Then why am I still trailing in the polls?" Ally asked, confused.

"People are rooting for you. They wanted us to know they're on your side, especially the women. But when it came time to rate you on strength, you came in at 25%. Only 14% trust you to lead, and they dinged you on "lack of experience." Emily leaned over to look at the paper with the statistics.

"Lack of experience?" Emily asked, answering Ally's question

"Code for they're scared. Isn't it sad when a strong woman scares people more than clowns? What do people see when they look at me?" Ally discussed.

"They see Kai." Emily tensed at the name.

"Well, look... we're not helping the situation by putting him in the ad. Take him out.
Put something out there with just my picture alone. As long as he's alive, a picture of you is a picture of Kai." Bev explained, her eyes flashed over to Emily as she swiftly stood up.

"Excuse me. "Emily mumbled walking out of the room. Kai would always be a tough subject for her, and everyone knew it.

As she held her son close to her, she slowly made her way up to her room, pulling her phone out of her pocket feeling it vibrate. She smiled slightly seeing it was Mark calling her.

Ever since Kai had gone to jail, Mark was one of the first people turned to for comfort. He had been there and welcomed her with open arms every time she needed him.

He always knew how to cheer her up and help her get off of the subject of Kai, knowing it was sensitive. He was there throughout the pregnancy and stayed in the waiting room and was asked to do skin to skin contact with Jude, so that a exhausted Emily could sleep. He was more than ecstatic to help.

He also posed as a great bodyguard, anytime someone tried to go up to her for a photo, or to talk to her about her time in the cult. Mark was her knight in shining armor.

Everyone, including Emily knew that Mark liked her, but they both agreed to take it day by day. The two both knew they had feeling for each other, but Emily still loved Kai, and Mark was very understanding. He thought she would be worth the wait. He was willing to be whatever Emily needed him to be.

Emily answered the phone, setting Jude down in his small crib, and placed a binky in his mouth to settle him for a nap.

Jude had no problem falling asleep, and Emily laid back on her bad to talk to Mark.

"Hello?"

"Hey Darlin', how's your day been going? Still helping Ally out?"

Emily hummed in response, "Yeah, just with some paperwork. I'm still mainly taking care of Oz through all of this, she's been so busy, but Oz is so patient with her. Sometimes I feel like he's so much more mature than me."

He chuckled at her comment, "Well that I believe. Oz is a good kid. What are you doin the rest of the day?"

"Well, I just put Jude down for a nap, so I'll probably go cook some lunch for Oz and help him with his homework. We have to get everything ready for Ally's next debate. Why?"

"I want to take you out tonight, Before you try to get out of it, I already talked to Ally, she's going to take Oz off of your hands tonight, and I know you won't want to leave Jude, so I got us a reservation at an appropriate restaurant at 6. Is that ok Ems."

Emily bit her lip, she knew this would be a date, she thought about it for a second. She needed to at least try to move on from Kai. Even if it was something as little as this. "Ok Mark, I'll go."

"Atta girl! I'll pick ya up at 545, sound alright?"

"Yes. I'll be ready."

"Perfect. See ya then Ems."

They ended the call, and Emily closed her eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and left to go help Oz for the remaining time before her date.

Emily and Mark sat at the table with their half-eaten food, laughing at something that had happened at work for Mark earlier that week. The dinner had gone along smoothly.

Emily was so grateful that none of it had been spent awkward. Mark always made her feel so comfortable in all situations, she was having fun. It had been such a long time since she had been able to say that.

She was broken out of her thought by a warm large hand covering her own. "Ems? Looks like I lost ya for a sec darlin."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was thinking about how long it's been since I've smiled this much." She said honestly.

Mark smiled brightly at her, about to respond, when they heard small whimpers coming from the baby carried placed on the chair between them.

"Oh I- "Mark interrupted her, "Here, let me. You haven't finished your food yet, I got 'em" He leaned over and picked up the small boy, grabbing his blanket and a bottle to feed him. He sat in the chair feeding Jude, while Emily stared at him in awe.

"What?" He laughed at her reaction.

"Ah I'm sorry, but I wasn't expecting that."

"What do you mean?"

"It's just, since Jude has been born, you've been so careful with how you treat him, but now over these weeks, it seems so natural for you. You don't seem uncomfortable holding a baby from my past relationship. It's like it doesn't bother you."

Mark sighs, "Emily, to be honest, the only thing that bothers me is seeing you struggle or your discomfort. If I can find a way to take that away I always will. After all the shit you've been through. You deserve it, and I'll always show you how much you deserve it. I'm sorry if I'm going too far by saying this, but I see Jude as my own. That one night, when you were sleeping and he laid on my chest, He looked up at me, and I knew I would protect him, and his mother until the day they force me away." He sighed, holding Jude in one arm, and reached over to grab Emily's hand.

"I love and care for you two so much, and I know it will take some time, but I want to be in your life as long as I can Ems." Emily began to tear up as he spoke.

"Mark, you make me so happy, you make me feel safer than I ever have. I know that dealing with me hasn't been the easiest thing, but I want to tell you, that I want you in our lives. I'm going to try my hardest to get past my own issues with Kai and everything else so that we all can be happy, together."

She sniffles, and he rubs his thumb over her hand comfortingly. "I promise that we will all be truly happy one day Emily, I will make sure of it."