Study Sessions

Aurelia did a good job at steering clear from Sirius. Sadly this meant avoiding James, Remus, and Peter altogether. 

Sirius' stealing glances never went unnoticed. He was trying desperately — and failing, at trying to get some form of eye contact — some sort of acknowledgement. 

Aurelia was adamant, but this day was different.

She went to the library, knowing full well that Sirius was there, and engaged in a conversation with Regulus, who looked overjoyed, albeit a little confused, that suddenly she was talking to him.

Aurelia wasn't spending time with Regulus just because she wanted to annoy Sirius; she was rather worried for him. The past few days that Hogwarts was back in session he was much more closed off — not spending as much time with Avery, Mulciber, and Rosier. 

They both had one thing in common at the moment.

"Did you already do our History of Magic homework on goblin rebellions?" Aurelia asked.

Regulus rubbed the back of his neck, his cheeks flushing pink. "Not exactly." 

Aurelia rolled her eyes. "At least you managed to turn the hedgehog into a pincushion in Transfiguration." She then proceeded to open her rucksack, ruffling through some papers until she found her notes labelled: 1877 GOBLIN REBELLIONS

"Thanks," Regulus murmured, "you take very thorough notes."

Aurelia heard someone snickering nearby. She turned around hastily, Regulus too engorged in reading her notes to notice anything, and shot Sirius a look. She then did a grand display of slitting her throat using her finger, mouthing the words 'you're dead'. Sirius looked highly uncomfortable and stopped instantly — taking his bag and leaving the library; but not before shooting Aurelia a terrified look. 

Regulus looked from her paper, his lips curving upward into a smile. "You're brilliant!"

"Brilliant?" Aurelia laughed. "I'm far from that. Not to mention you sound like James." 

"Don't be modest," Regulus said, although he frowned on being compared to such a loathsome person. "There's a reason Ravenclaw's ghost seems to be so interested in you. She's rarely ever seen other than with you!" 

Regulus immediately reddened, feeling like he had been caught. 

Aurelia paid no mind; although truthfully she was a little interested.

Why was Helena Ravenclaw so interested in Aurelia, who — other than her good grades — was nothing special compared to many of the other exceptionally academically achieved students?

Aurelia shrugged her thought off. "You're better at Defense Against the Dark Arts though." 

Regulus gave Aurelia an incredulous look. "I'm okay, but I still can't manage to do a Patronus charm." 

"That's because we're in fourth year; of course you can't! Neither can I, for that matter. Defense Against the Dark Arts is my worst subject, however Charms..."

Regulus noticed the way her green eyes sparkled in amusement; feeling as if he could gaze into them for hours. He shook his head at the mere thought. Don't be weird.

"Let's try the summoning charm," Aurelia suggested. She then pointed her rowan wand at a stack of books not far away, and in a clear voice muttered, "Accio."

The stack of books began to float in the air on top of one another, landing on the table where Regulus and Aurelia were sitting with a small thud.

"Your turn."

Regulus pointed his own wand, which was made out of holly wood, at a pile of cushions that a couple of sixth year students were previously lounging on, and said, in a voice a lot louder than Aurelia's, "ACCIO!"

Immediately the cushions rose in the air, and fell with a thud much more deafening than Aurelia's had been. 

Madam Pince looked from where she had been working, saw the two fourth years, and didn't hesitate to kick them out.