Hufflepuff Pride

You walked with Susan, Hermione, and a Slytherin student in your year. She was one of the good ones— one who defied the stereotype created by more prominent faces of the house. Susan was talking about her Transfiguration essay when the sound of a student in distress caught your group's attention.

You rounded the corner quickly, eyes bugging as you watched a older Slytherin student and two of his goons harass a young Gryffindor boy who didn't make the team. Oliver Wood (who we're putting as a seventh year because I want to include him in these scenarios) was known for his ruthlessness when it came to captaining the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Rumor had it that he was particularly harsh this time around— but it was hard for you to believe.
Still— it was always who made (or didnt) make the team. If they didn't make the team, usually the reason went around too.

In regards to this boy— Quincy, you believed— the reason he failed to make the team was because he knocked two other players off their broomstick when he lost control of it. The poor boy had allegedly skipped the feast last night because he was embarrassed. Apparently he had been crying in the bathroom instead.

Hunter Magnim (the main goon) was making mocking crying sounds at Quincy, contorting his ugly face into even uglier expressions. He then let out a laugh when Quincy told them to stop.
"Woahhh woah," Hunter said, holding both hands in front of the possy behind him as if he was stopping them from stepping closer. "Easy fellas! Better not make this one angry— he might knock us off our brooms!"
"Yeah," agreed a towering figure behind him— a student who looked like an adult who was still going through puberty, "But don't worry, he'll cry about it after."

The three roared with laughter. Some students stood and watched in awe, some in clear disgust. Others walked by as if they didn't see anything. Tears were welling up in Quincy's eyes threatening to spill at any moment down his splotchy cheeks.

You heard good Slytherin friend sigh beside you.
"Idiots like Hunter and his goons are why we get a bad rep."
She was right. Then again, most Slytherins didn't ever try stopping the big-baddies. Well, you weren't going to let this slide so easily.

You didn't think before your feet started moving.
You shoved the tall student aside, and shouldered your way past Hunter, who gave you a scowl— which quickly transitioned into a cocky smirk when he saw you take your place between his little group and Quincey. You heard the Gryffindor boy whimper behind you, but you didn't look over your shoulder at him.

Hunter stared you down. "Lookie! We have ourselves a hero!— Should have expected as much from a Hufflepuff. What are you going to do? Friend me to death? Give me a nice big hug and sing a campfire song?" This earned a snicker from his friends.
You looked at him, unamused.
"You guys literally look like a but right now."

Silence.

"What?" Hunter gave you a dumbfounded look.
"Yeah," you motioned to his goons, "Two butt cheeks..." you then looked him in the eye. "And an asshole."

The Slytherin looked red in the face, anger very clearly the source of it. Good to know he was the oversensitive type— probably always got his way and never got called out. You held your ground as he began throwing a whirlwind of insults at you.
"At least I'm not a filthy mudblood!"
"Oooh~ so creative!" You mocked, "Let's hear more."
In a fit of embarrassed rage, he threw a whirlwind of insults your way. You held your ground and kept a thoughtful look on your face, which only pissed him off more. He insulted your bloodline, your looks, your skills in magical arts, your voice— anything he could think of. Even his friends looked a little concerned for him.

"You done yet? Please say you're done. I can smell your breath from here and it reeks!" You waved a hand in front of your nose dramatically.
Hunter was clenching his teeth, eye boring into yours. He was now redder than Quincy, who had scattered off some time while Hunter was distracted by you. "Shut the hell up!" He hissed. You furrowed yourself brows at him, "What if I don't?"
"I'll tell Snape—"
"You're going to tattle? "Professor! Professor! (Y/n) is such a meanie beanie!" You mocked him with a pitched nasally tone. Before he could say anything in response, you cut him off. "Go on, tell Snape! I dare you to. Go and do it you low-testosterone beta male."

You realized you may have crossed the line with that last remark when Hunter pulled his wand out of his cloak to aim it at you.
"You damned mudblood! I'll shut you up myself!"
You were about to reach for your wand in a hurry when you felt yourself get pushed back against the wall. It took you a moment to collect yourself, but when you came too, Cedric was standing in front of you, facing Hunter with his wand at the ready.

Hushed murmurs washed over the crowd that had accumulated.

The Slytherin looked intimidated now. You were perhaps an even match, but everyone knew Cedric had natural talent when it came to magic. He could turn a lion into a toad with ease— you'd bet.
You peeked around Cedric to watch. Hunter's arm was trembling, and he looked like he was ready to bolt.

You heard Cedric's calming voice— now tainted with his prefect tone— as he took the situation into his own hands.
"Lower your wand, Magnim."
Hunter trembled as he took a shuffle-step back, but he didn't lower his wand. Cedric took position to cast a spell, now having both hands on his wand. You almost didn't recognize his voice when he spoke again. It was beyond his prefect tone. "Wand. Down. I won't tell you again." His voice unfriendly, and there was a clear threat within it alone... no need for words to explain what would happen if Hunter didn't oblige.

Luckily, the coward shoved his wand into his cloak before making a run for it, stumbling a bit when he tried to turn around.

Cedric turned to face you, his brown eyes hard. You felt smaller under his gaze, und suddenly a wave of guilt washed over you. It worsened when he stepped closer. "There aren't many people I don't like," Cedric said, and you feared the worst. You didn't even have time to wonder if what you did was wrong or right. But much to your relief, he began looking you over like a mother hen as he mumbled, "But he just made the list."

Cedric's hard eyes softened when he met your gaze.
"Are you alright?" He asked, his gentle tone returning and easing you into a state of relaxation. You nodded briskly and didn't struggle when he embraced you.

Eventually, he turned to face the awe-struck crowd staring at him. They'd never seen that side of him before. Then again... Cedric was the kind of person who would react in such a way only when his friends were the ones in the bad situation. You loved that about him. The prefect waved them all off with a nod, "Just... doing my job as prefect. Carry on."

He lead you out of the hall and to the courtyard, hoping to avoid wandering eyes.
"You're not mad at me?"
His gaze shifted to you, confusion lacing his expression. "Mad? Why would I be even remotely upset with you?" You couldn't think of a reason. But part of you still feared it so... "Not sure. You don't think I overdid it? Or I should have kept quiet?"

Cedric laughed and turned to look at you.
"You're joking— please tell me you're not serious."
You pressed your lips together, face hot from embarrassment. Cedric shook his head and chuckled softly. "Darling, I'm proud of you. It's about time someone stands up to them. And you made it quite amusing too!" He laughed, "I don't know which part was my favorite!"
You grinned. Cedric slung his arm around you to pull you close as you walked. You reached up and locked your fingers with his at your shoulder.

"You weren't so bad yourself. I didn't know you could be so..." you trailed off as you tried to think of the word. "Protective. And I don't think I could have ever pictured you threatening someone."
Cedric rubbed the back of his neck.
"I would have done it, you know— dueled with him."
You looked up at him. He smiled down at you, though it was clear he was thinking about his actions. He probably felt so incredibly bad. He never raised his wand against a student. Never to threaten them, especially. You brought his hand to your lips and kissed his knuckles, "Thinking about it now... it was pretty hot."

You met his wide eyes now, watching his face get visibly redder.
"Hot? Really? I thought you liked my... gentler side?"
"I do! It's adorable. But..." you moved your hand from his, shifting it up to his Hufflepuff tie to fix it for him. "That was hot," you grinned cheekily at him.
Cedric's grin widened. He leaned down, catching your mouth to engage in a sweet, but very loving kiss.

He tasted like the pumpkin bread he'd had this morning at breakfast. When you pulled away, he looked disappointed. You kissed his jaw, then laughed softly, "Maybe we'll continue later— when we're not in public."

He seemed shocked. Did he forget you were in the courtyard? "O-Oh! Yes, of course. That would probably be best." He admitted. You nodded in agreement and took his hand in yours, intertwining your fingers with his as you walked with him to his next class.