Becoming Friends

(Inspired by the book/movie scene)
(This one is a bit long uwu)
You sat in class, groaning at the thought of having to sit through a lecture this early in the morning. The real fun in Defense Against the Dark Arts wouldn't start until later into the year. There was a new professor. Mad-Eye Moody... an old friend of Dumbledore's. The seat beside you remained empty, until you heard the screech of that chair being moved against the hard ground. You looked over.
"Morning, (l/n)!" Cedric greeted.
You gave a tired smile. "Good morning, Ced." You really couldn't wrap your head around how he was so awake in the morning. You were never awake in the morning. "Is this seat taken?" He asked. You shook your head 'no', and watched as he sat down. He certainly was very polite. You'd always known he had manners, but never witnessed them firsthand like this. Was he really asking if he could sit next to you?Cedric sighed, "New year, new professor." You nodded again. It was becoming a tradition that every year there was a new person teaching DADA at Hogwarts. After Quirrell left, a fraud took over, followed by a werewolf. It really had been an eventful past three years.

When class started, you were surprised to hear that the lesson was about the three unforgivable curses. Cedric looked just as shocked as you. Moody hobbled around as he discussed the curses. You tensed in your seat, knowing well enough what each of the curses was capable of.  But it was when Moody used the spells on a poor, innocent spider that you became bothered.

"Imperio," Moody grumbled. Now as he waved his wand around the room, the spider followed, unable to regain control over itself with the spell your professor had cast on it. You pressed your lips together and furrowed your brows. You didn't notice the concerned look Cedric gave you. You clenched your jaw now as you heard the professor move on to the Cruciartus curse. "(L/n)!" You winced as Moody shouted your name. "Sir."
"You look like a smart girl. I hear that you're particularly talented in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Why don't you tell me what the Cruciartus curse does. Hm?" Cedric shifted a hand towards you under the table out of worry, but he didn't make contact with you. You kept your eyes on the platform of your desk.
"It's the torture curse, sir. It inflicts immeasurable pain on the victim."
Mad-eye nodded, clearly satisfied with your answer. He set the spider down on your desk. All eyes were now facing in your direction as the professor muttered, "Crucio."

The spider began to squirm in pain, letting out a high pitched squeal. You squeezed your eyes shut, not wanting to look at it. What kind of a back assward professor did this to an innocent creature?! The squealing was all you heard, until Cedric shouted in a protective, almost hostile way, "That's enough! Can't you see it's bothering her? I think you've demonstrated it quite thoroughly, now stop it!" The squealing came to a stop seconds after, and you opened your eyes to look at Cedric. He had a cross look on his face as he stared at the professor. Moody stared back at him. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to give us the last of the Unforgivable Curses." Cedric scowled. "The killing curse." He said softly, looking at the poor spider on your desk. You closed your eyes again as Moody aimed his wand at the spider, then uttered with a throaty rasp, "Avada Kadavra."

***
After class, you walked silently beside Cedric in the hall. He still had his eyes on you, worried by your silence. You were usually talkative, or flooding his ears with random jokes.
"Listen," he said quietly to you, pulling you into a corner. You looked up at him. He lowered his voice, "You seem a little shaken up. If there's anything I can do... anything at all..."
"No," you said. "Thank you, but I just need a minute to collect myself."
Cedric nodded gently in understanding. You pressed your lips together, then quickly embrace the boy. He immediately wrapped both arms around you. "That's what I thought," he chuckled. You frowned and buried your face into his chest.

(Cedric's POV)
Her arms wrapped around me hardly seconds after her turning down my offer to provide comfort. I was aware of her kind heart, even though I'd never really spent much time with her before the ride on the train the other day. I had heard from others the ferocity of her caring nature, and today I was able to witness it myself. I took her into my arms and let her nestle her head against my chest. I realized I could get used to this.
"That's what I thought," I told her, unable to stop myself from chuckling. I knew she would need some comfort. And I decided I would always be there to give that to her when she needed it.