Prologue

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please, don't take my sunshine away.

 I brought the comforter up as my song ended, tucking the twins in for the night. They cuddled together, their copper hair sprawled across the pillow they shared. Summer was turning rapidly into fall, and the attic was getting cold at night. A shiver raced up my spine as a trail of frigid air breezed through the room. I made a mental note to make sure everyone's coat from last year still fit.

Ryan and Violet watched me stand and gather my things. The only light in the space came from a nearby streetlight shining through the dirty window. Luckily, I knew where everything was. I was used to getting ready in the dark. The Walkers would not appreciate us wasting electricity. Their words, not mine.

"Bar tonight?" Ryan asked, breaking the silence. He kept his voice down. No one wanted the twins woken up. It would make me late if I had to put them to bed again.

"Yeah," I answered, zipping up my bag and grabbing my jacket. There was a bar a few blocks over that paid me cash. The tips weren't great, but it was income. Every penny counted. "Don't stay up too late and don't leave the attic."

"We won't," Ryan groaned out his answer from the patchwork sofa. I reminded them every time I left, but I couldn't escape the worry that something would happen to them in my absence.

"Be safe," Violet whispered. She laid on the only other bed in the space. I walked over to her quickly and pecked her forehead before ruffling her pale blonde locks.

"I will be."

Silently, I eased the door open and stepped out into the stairwell. I waited until I heard the lock click behind me before making my way downstairs. Yanking my messy hair, I tried to fashion it into a decent bun as I walked.

A light on in the kitchen made me pause at the bottom of the stairs. The Walkers always, always went to bed early. They were sticklers for routine. As I crept down the hall, I heard their voices.

"I want her gone."

I froze at the malice in her words, knowing that tone all too well. I quickly finished putting my hair up and moved over to the wall. The shadows offered little protection, but it was better than nothing. They shouldn't come this way, though. Their bedroom was on the other side of the house.

"Me too, but you know it's more complicated than that." Mr. Walker's gravel voice reached me like nails raking down a chalkboard. "I can talk to Vincent and see if he would take her early."

What were they talking about? It was late, and I needed to get to work. Jimmy, my boss, would not be happy if I didn't show up on time. Since the Walkers went to bed so early, I rarely had a problem sneaking out. If they knew I was working, they would demand a cut of the pay. I needed every dime I could get. It was our ticket out of here. Eventually.

I started forming a plan to go out the window in the attic. I could climb down from there to the porch. It wasn't the most stable structure, but I wouldn't have much of a choice if they planned on talking for a while. It would probably wake up the twins. Shit. I didn't need this right now.

"She is going to be nineteen soon. If he doesn't want her, I think we could get a pretty penny for the ugly bitch," Mr. Walker continued.

Ice flooded my veins. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The Walkers were not good people. To be frank, they were horrible. I had the scars to prove it. But I never thought they would do something like this. It was on another level, one I had thought they would never stoop to. I guessed what they said about assumptions was right.

They were having a casual conversation about selling me. I wanted to scoff in disbelief, but I kept my silence. I couldn't imagine the punishment that would follow if they found me eavesdropping. Vincent, whoever the hell he was, could fuck off.

"It could be the answer to our problems."

What problems could they solve by selling their adopted child? Financial ones. The answer came to me immediately. I knew Mr. Walker had a gambling problem. Mrs. Walker routinely nagged him about it. They definitely didn't invest their money here, given the dilapidated state of the house and the constant emptiness of the fridge.

"Fine, but I want it done soon," Mrs. Walker relented.

I heard them make their way out of the kitchen. The light flickered off as their footsteps faded. My mind raced as I stood there, work forgotten. Before I could panic, I forced myself to take a deep breath. Another one. And then another one.

Forcing myself to move, I carefully backtracked down the hall and up to the attic. I tapped on the door three times and then paused before tapping two more times. Our secret code to make sure it was safe to open the door. The lock clicked, and the door eased open.

I stepped inside, closing and locking the door behind me. Two sets of eyes stared at me with worry. Thankfully, I hadn't woken the twins up. I leaned against the door, my mind sprinting from one option to the next.

I had to do something. After they sold me, any of the others could be next on the auction block. I couldn't stay here and wait to be sold. Leaving wasn't an option, at least not without the kids. I couldn't let anything happen to them. A plan took form in my head. It was the only option.

We had to run.

Happy Update Day! The next chapter is already up on my Patreon. The link is in my bio!

Happy Reading!!