Chapter 12

Kendra

"It's a surprise."

Maddy's giggle followed us as we walked through town. Andreas led us with ease and confidence. He had to be the mayor, or at least someone important. Everyone we passed took notice of us.

It wasn't a large town, but there was a lot of space between buildings that was filled with greenery, benches, or fountains. It was nice to see nature mixed in so well with the brick buildings of the town.

He never once let go of the twins' hands. They chatted with him, and he never ignored them. I watched Violet and Ryan, but their attention was on taking in the town. Even though Ryan tried to appear indifferent, I saw how some skateboards in the general store's windows caught his attention.

My heart hurt that I couldn't get one for him. I knew he loved skateboarding, and the Wilsons would never have gotten one for him. We needed to save whatever money we could, but one day I would get him one.

Andreas slowed as we approached a large two-story building. A black awning hung over a large bay window displaying various books. A black sign hung above the store decorated with large gold script spelling out Bits and Books.

"This is one of my favorite places in town, when I have the time to read that is," Andreas said, dropping the twins' hands in order to open the door. He held it open for all of us. I let Violet and Ryan go first before I followed.

"Thank you," I told him quietly, feeling my face heat.

"You are most certainly welcome."

The door chimed as we entered. Violet gasped, her eyes growing wider and wider as she looked around. While I was going to get a skateboard for Ryan, I was going to buy Violet enough books to fill this library one day. She loved reading and was helping the twins learn.

The floor was a mishmash of different shades and kinds of wood and spanned the main floor. A long counter ran along one wall directly opposite of a large white stone fireplace. The fire crackled and made the couches and seats surrounding it look very cozy.

Floor to ceiling, dark wood shelves covered every single wall in the place. A spiral staircase made of the same wood connected the main floor to the second-floor balcony. I couldn't see the back of the building. The rows of books looked endless. This place was Violet's dream.

"Go on," I told her, pushing her forward. The small push jolted her out of her wonder, and she headed off into the books. Ryan followed her.

"Good morning," a cheery voice greeted from behind the counter. I jumped, silently swearing. I swore no one was there a moment before.

A tiny, middle-aged woman smiled at us. Her blonde hair had streaks of gray in it that looked like threads of silver. Round wire glasses perched on the end of her button nose.

"Good morning, Miss Juniper," Andreas greeted her, heading over to the counter. She waved a hand at him immediately.

"None of that, mister," she scolded him. "Who have you brought into my lair today?"

"This is Kendra, Maddie, and Max," Andreas introduced us before pointing toward the books. "Violet and Ryan already headed into the maze." She scoffed, rolling her eyes dramatically. She started collecting various papers and books on the counter, organizing them.

"My system makes perfect sense," she told him before turning to me. "I'm June. Only people wanting to annoy me call me anything but that." The glare she sent at Andreas made me chuckle.

"Your store is beautiful." She froze in her motions and looked up at me with wide eyes. Worry built inside me as I thought over my words. I didn't mean to offend her.