Chapter 5

Andreas

 I watched her and her pack of younglings as they headed back to the motel. Her smile shone brighter than the moon. The two little ones were running in circles around the group full of energy. Kendra laughed as she watched them. I sighed as the beautiful sound washed over me.

 "Is she?" Valor asked, coming up behind me. I nodded once. His breath caught.

 "So you going to woo the little human?" Barrett asked. I hadn't noticed him behind Valor. I rolled my eyes, but his words weren't false. I would have to woo Kendra. She was a human and did not know the world she had just stepped into. But I had no intention of letting her go.

 "Barrett," I commanded. "Find out anything you can about them. Where they came from, where they are heading, I want to know everything."

 "Will do, Bossman." He strolled away. Even though his attitude was always questionable, he never failed to follow a command. He would get me the information I needed.

 "What about the children?" Valor questioned. I felt a smile stretch across my face at the thought of them.

 "They are too old to be hers. I would guess siblings, but maybe adoptive," I assessed. The older boy could be related based on looks, but the girl with her blonde hair and the twins with their bright red hair stood out. "The older boy, Ryan, was ready to fight me earlier when I startled Kendra on accident." He shared in my amusement at the thought.

 "They seem close," he observed. I agreed completely. She cared for them like a mother and they were all just as attached to her.

 "I want to talk to Bernie," I informed him before moving toward the garage. Bernie had an apartment over the business where he stayed.

 Bernie, are you available to talk? I asked through the pack link. His response was immediate.

 Of course, Alpha.

 I noticed a small beat-up car when we entered the garage but didn't comment on it. A spiral staircase in the back lead up to his apartment. I didn't knock and entered with Valor still following behind me.

 "Good evening, Alpha, Beta," Bernie greeted respectfully. I dipped my head in acknowledgment, but before I could explain why I was there, he beat me to it. "This about that young girl and those kids?"

 "Yes, it is," I answered. "I need to know anything at all you observed about them."

 "Pardon my curiosity, but why the interest Alpha? They hardly seem like they are here for nefarious purposes and they passed through the ward just fine," he told me. I had to stop myself from smiling. His pack instinct was already kicking in to protect his future Luna.

 "Kendra is my mate," I revealed. He froze in his ramblings before smiling brightly.

 "A Luna at last," he stated happily. "She seems like a sweet girl, but she's running from something." I sat up straighter at the revelation.

 "What makes you say that?" I asked him, trying to keep the order out of my voice. I knew he would tell me without it. It was just instinct. I had to know any danger my mate was in. It wasn't acceptable for her to be in any danger in all honesty. We all sat in his small living area. He sighed, sinking down onto the couch.

 "I found them about twenty minutes from town. It's amazing they made it anywhere in that piece of junk down there," he told us. "I asked if they needed help but she wasn't having any of it and told us to leave so we did." He paused, looking up at me.