Chapter 6

Kendra

The kids walked with me to the diner in the morning. Instead of eating from the vending machine at the motel, Joe had offered to feed them in the morning before the diner opened. Well, he didn't really offer because if he did I could have refused. He practically ordered me to bring them to make sure they had a good meal to start the day off. I didn't like how much it felt like a handout, but I wanted to do what was best for them.

The sky was still orange and pink from the sunrise. The town looked like it had popped right out of a postcard. There were various shops that lined this main road. I planned to take the kids exploring one day. It would be fun to look around, especially if we were going to be here for a while.

I held the door open for the rest as they flooded into the diner. The bell announced our entrance. The twins happily ran forward while Violet kept herself behind Ryan.

Joe came out of the kitchen just as I got the twins onto stools at the bar. Violet and Ryan sat on either side of them. He placed plates in front of each of them. Each had a variety of steaming hot bacon, eggs, sausage, and biscuits.

"So what do you rascals want to drink this morning?" He asked playfully. Ryan still glared at him, but replied with water. Violet wanted the same.

"Juice!" the twins yelled in unison. Joe chuckled.

"I'll have it right out." He went back into the kitchen, and I took a seat next to Violet. The kids all dug in, but Violet was more so just pushing the food around.

"What's up?" I asked, leaning against the counter. She shrugged. "That won't work with me. I know something's up with you. Is it the town? Cause we can leave. I can find a perfectly good job somewhere else if you are getting one of your bad vibes."

Violet had this abnormal ability to sense bad things coming. One day she begged me not to go to work at the hotel that I was doing laundry for. I listened to her, thankfully, because a fire started that night in the basement, right next to where I would have been working. That was just one example. Her bad vibes were now something we always listened to.

"No, it's not that," she mumbled. "It's actually the opposite."

Joe came back out, instantly silencing her. They all murmured their thanks as he set drinks down in front of each of them. Max picked up his cup purposefully.

"Maxwell Walker, do not chug that orange juice," I quickly ordered. He drooped a little and only took a small sip before setting the cup back down. I swear that kid could drink a gallon of juice and still not be satisfied.

"I'm going to go finish up before the breakfast rush starts, but you kids enjoy," Joe stated before walking back into the kitchen. I turned back to Violet.

"What do you mean, the opposite?" She had only ever gotten bad vibes, at least that I knew of.

"This place feels good...it's hard to describe. I'm probably crazy," she said.

"No you are not, your feelings are never wrong." I hated when she talked down about herself.

"It just feels safe here," she told me, meeting my eyes. "Nowhere has ever felt this safe before." I had to think about that for a second. Maybe more than a second, actually.

"That's good," I finally said. "But you let me know the second that changes, okay?" She nodded and finally started eating her breakfast. I sighed and went about preparing the diner for the opening rush.

Once the kids finished eating, Ryan led them across the street to the park. There was a small playground and picnic area within sight of the diner. I glanced at them periodically throughout the morning to check and make sure they were okay. It helped me focus on my work, knowing that they were safe.