Chapter 7

Andreas

 I was going to kill them.

I should have trusted my gut not to put them on guard rotation. They were too immature to hand something of this caliber. What was the first thing they did? Approached the skittish children without Kendra around, and absolutely terrified them.

I watched as fear took hold on her face, and when she ran for the door I was seconds behind her. When I saw what had scared her, anger coursed through me. My gryphon saw those children as its own already. Fear radiated from them, the young girl especially.

I wanted to take Tai and Taran down right then and there, but I knew any violence would only make the situation worse. It took all of my self-control to hold myself back.

I hoped my words calmed Kendra's fear, but I worried this may cause her to run. Bernie still had her car, but I had no doubt that my mate would think of something. She was resourceful, brave, and protective. She would do whatever was necessary to protect her family.

Walking back to the diner, I heard her talking to Violet. The young witch's dormant abilities were becoming more active. If I had to guess, it was due to being inside the wards and around so many magical beings.

I was ecstatic she could prove that I didn't lie to them. I wasn't trying to pacify them. The twins would answer to me, but I needed to take care of my pack first.

I led the kids up to the counter. Thankfully, the diner only had a few customers left from the morning rush. Joe surveyed each of the kids from behind the bar. His gaze landed on Kendra.

"I'm sorry, Joe, I just reacted-," Kendra immediately apologized, but thankfully Joe was fast.

"No apology necessary for protecting your family," he told her, soothing her worries. "So what can I get for you lot?"

"Sundaes!" Maddie and Max cheered together, making me smile.

"Coming right up!"

Joe went back into the kitchen to work, and I turned back to the twins as they continued their tale of slaying the dragon that had tried to fart in their castle. The imagination of a child was a wondrous thing.

Kendra stayed close to the kids as she got back to work. I noticed Ryan shadowed Violet, even when she got up to go to the bathroom. I fought a smile, watching him stand outside the bathroom as he waited for her before walking her back to the stools.

He surveyed their surroundings with an awareness most warriors didn't possess. He was looking for a threat, like he knew it would come. It was a matter of when to him, not if. That realization pained me. I could only think of a few reasons he would behave like that, and I didn't like any of them.

I sat with them until they had finished their sundaes. Before Kendra could worry, Joe set them up at a table in the corner near the kitchen with coloring sheets and crayons. I could see that my mate wanted to say something, but Joe stopped her before she could get a word out.

He pulled her over to the side of the diner, out of earshot of the kids. Ryan watched them vigilantly. The twins colored away, happily babbling back and forth while Violet leaned against the corner of the wall and stared out of the window, her arms wrapped around her knees.

"Look," Joe began, his tone low and gentle. "I know you and those kids are going through something. They are good kids and I don't mind them being here."

"But this isn't a daycare and its not fair to you and your business," Kendra replied, looking down. My gryphon hated that. She should never have to lower her eyes to anyone, even us.