Prologue

Art is not mine

It was a cold October evening, curtains were drawn, and windows were shut tight. Jack-o'-lanterns lined the streets, with their glowing eyes following the pedestrians on the road. On this cold October night, a woman with fire-red hair and a baby tucked in a basket made her way to an old friend's house. Her husband was at home with her other child, preparing for their inevitable death. She knocked on her old friend's door and folded a letter into her daughter's blanket. Leaving her baby on his doorstep she diapered into the cloak of darkness.
Not even twenty minutes has passed before the child woke up, screaming at the top of her little lungs. A man dressed in a black cloak, with long greasy black hair, sat by the fire reading a book of potions. He tried to ignore the sound of the child screaming outside his front door, but it seemed to be progressively getting louder. Finally, he gave in and opened the door to see a baby on his doorstep. If it wasn't for the letter tucked into her blanket he would have left the baby out to die in the cold. However, lucky for her he noticed a letter poking out from her blanket. He practically jumped when he saw the signature on the letter.

"Lilly?"

he smiled as he picked up the baby and headed inside. He tore open the letter as he set the girl beside him.

Dear Severus,

If you reading this letter then you have probably found my daughter on your doorstep.

He looked down at the baby beside him.

As you already know, your tyrant of a boss wants my son dead and will stop at nothing to ensure his victory. We both know he has no problem killing innocent bystanders and I don't want my daughter to become an unnecessary casualty of this unwinnable war. Against my better judgment, I am trusting you to keep her safe. I have a plan to save him, but I can't find a way to protect them both. I figured that hidden in plain sight among those who intend to harm her, and the rest of her family she would be safe. Her name is Y/n Potter, and if I find out that any harm came to her under your care, I will make your life a living hell.

Ps. This letter will self-destruct once you finish reading it, so get it away from her.

He internally panicked, he didn't know the first thing about taking care of a child. Looking down he saw the infant asleep next to him.