Chapter 19

I yawned, rolling over. I wrapped my arm around a solid pillow and opened an eye, seeing Valentine. I pulled away quickly in disgust.

"Gross," I spat quietly, wiping my arms like it would get rid of his touch from my body.

He groans and rolls over and I stared at his back. There were multiple scars that ran down his spine and were a bit pink still. I reached over, running a finger over one and it was raised.

"What-" I stopped before realizing what I was doing. 

"It's fine," he chuckled and rolled back over, yawning. He looked at me before looking around the room. He got up quickly and ran to the door, locking it.

He turned and stared at me with suspicious eyes.

"Where were you?"

"When?" I asked, sitting up and looking at him.

"Last night." He growled, looking around before his eyes landed on me again. His eyes were cold and calculating.

I laughed, rolling my eyes, " you don't remember?"

"No," he growled again, his face turning into a scowl.

"Okay," I laughed again, hoping my careless attitude would make him relax and trust me a bit, "we drank quite a bit last night so when we got back here, we went to bed. We both stumbled a lot that I'm surprised I don't have any bruises."

I looked at my arms and legs incredulously, hoping it looked like I was very surprised that there wasn't any bruises.

He nodded, but kept quiet for a moment longer. His scowl was replaced with a small smile before he chuckled, "yeah, last night was fun, but I really shouldn't of had that much."

I nodded, "yeah, but that's what happens when you hang out with those friends."

He smiled and unlocked the door, walking over to the side of the bed. I sighed, knowing what was coming. He pulled a small bag out from under the bed and looked at me for a moment. His eyes were calculating, but soft.

"Do you have to?" I asked, biting the side of my lip, looking at the bag. The bag was a soft red velvet with a drawstring to close it. The bag was close to empty and I was hoping he didn't have anymore with him.

"Only a couple more times," he said quickly, trying to catch my gaze.

"Couple?" I asked, looking at him. I tried to figure out whether or not he was lying. His eyes were unreadable, but I still searched for signs of any emotion.

Yeah," he shrugged nonchalantly, "everyone trusts me and I told the Ministry not to worry for the next couple of weeks so I have this place in the palm of my hand."

"So you don't need me anymore?" I asked, tilting my a head a little.

He rolled his eyes, "do you want me to need you?"

I rolled my eyes and got up, moving away from him. 

"No, I've literally not done anything for you other than help you gain the trust of my friends," I said, thinking about it. I thought he needed me for my gift, but he only seemed to need me to gain the trust of my friends.