Death

It was a month before I saw Guinevere again. She was in full Saxon garb and warrior paint, we called them heathens for doing things like that, but that was only because they were different from us. The Saxons were advancing today and from the way they were dressed and because of who was in front I realized that this was going to be the final push. We needed that miracle soon, scratch that we needed it now.

The Saxon's charged and we were not ready, I casted a quick spell to make our fighter fight better but their is only so much magic can do for our fatigued fighters. Arthur was oblivious to the carnage around him, he was looking at one thing and everything else was insignificant. I had to concentrate and cast several spells to protect him as he walked through the fighting.

Him and Lancelot was headed towards one thing, Guinevere. It was like they were magnets being drawn to her, like they had no choice but to move closer and closer. I couldn't help but wonder if she was a witch. A simple spell to check proved that I was wrong in this assumption, which means that this was normal attraction. Maybe something as mystical as the red string theory but nothing truly magical.

I watched as they got closer to her. I protected them until they got there and when they both reached her I was immediately distraught at their actions. The two of them decided to this caveman style. They drew their swords and attacked, they weren't aiming any blows to kill but after they wounded Guinevere enough to make it to where she couldn't fight back, Arthur pulled out a spoil of rope, they tied her up and proceeded to bring her back to the camp. The Saxon's upon seeing this attacked them.

It seemed like all the Saxons left their respective fights and tried to attack Arthur and Lancelot. I couldn't allow the Prince to die in battle, even if he was acting stupid enough to get killed. Once Arthur and Lancelot had gotten her back into the camp and circled by the Warriors the Saxons stopped there fighting. It's like there soul or will to fight left them. Or it might have to do with the movement at Guinevere's throat.

Arthur saw this and exclaimed, "lay down your weapons, or she dies."

The Saxons looked about each other, some even whispered and they took a few minutes which made Arthur repeat, "DROP THEM OR I WILL KILL HER."

At this all the Saxons dropped their weapons and allowed our troops to tie them up.

"We are victorious." Arthur exclaims and all the troops cheered for the victory that none of them earned or deserved.

I could help but wonder if I hadn't let Arthur win, if he had died would Eleanor still have come to this time. She told me about the car crash but I wondered if she came here because of the stories. Because she felt like an outsider in her own time and felt like she belonged somewhere else. Maybe the stories she read made her think of this time. I didn't know what the reason was but I did feel a pull towards her and I planned on doing everything in my power to make sure that her time isn't affected by her being here. I have to make her time be unaffected, otherwise she might not come to this time.

The track home was long, slow, and arduous. It took three times as long to get to hometown it did to get to the front line. Part of that was because of the number of bodies we were bringing home. We had the Saxons bury their dead, and load our dead onto carts the plan was to bury our soldiers on a hill about 10 miles from the war zone. The hill was high and we could see it from the battle, this was also the spot where Arthur rested and got they general gist of what was happening with the war before he went down and joined the fighting.

Arthur did not take into consideration the weight the dead bodies out in the carts and that what even though we were using Saxon labor to pull the bodies up the hill, long story short it wasn't enough man power. So we had to unload the cart half way pull them up the hill with help from our soldier, then go back down the hill reload the carts and repeat the process. Then we could have the Saxon dig the hole and bury the bodies.

All of the work above took over three months because after we got finished Lancelot have the suggestion to have the Saxons built a marker to remember the fallen by. I'm t saying this was a bad idea, my only point was that this wasn't the right time for it. Guinevere watched from the cell on a cart looking forlorn as the work proceeded. She was only allowed out of the cage once a day. Then she would accompany Arthur who would give her food and try to woo her. I wasn't present during most of this but from what I saw of it, it wasn't going the way Arthur intended.

After the monument we began the real journey home. This was slow, at ever town we passed some soldiers would leave us, they were home and wanted to be with their families. The carts had been converted to cells like the one Guinevere was in while we were on the monument hill, as the people came to call it. The carts were packed with Saxons. Only three per cart where allowed out each day, and their reward for being outside the bars was that they got to pull the carts filled with there people.

Like I said before this took a while. It had taken us a month to reach our borders but at this rate of progress it would end up taking twice that. Once we had begun heading home I felt a need to be back in the castle. I felt a calling like I was missing something important and all I wanted was the be back there. Even though I hated my work sometimes nothing could beat being at the place that you knew for the longest as home.

Not to mention the girl that was left behind to fend for herself.

I couldn't wait to see her.